Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A bizarre thought on sword making
Pretty much like Matt said. We have a pretty good knowledge of the various Roman religions and their beliefs in the afterlife. I have seen no indication that they believed that weapons left on the body would carry over into the afterlife. Romans don't seem to have the same kind of attachment to their weapons as some other cultures either. There is no indication that they named their weapons or treated them in a similar manner to other groups such as some Germanic practices. The Romans seem to value the sword more as a functional tool to use and discard once it has outlived its value. If the body was buried then it is quite likely that someone who valued the sword or a particular sword might be buried with one much like burying your grandfather in his favorite suit, but not likely for the Roman culture using cremation. Do you believe your grandfather wears his suit in the afterlife or are you just burying him in the suit because it has a strong positive connection with him, etc.? Modern people do not typically include burial items with cremated remains either. I think it is important to not be too hasty in making judgments on such issues. Think of how many modern practices could be misinterpreted the same way by another culture or years from now.

Something I've never heard in discussing Germanic burial practices is how often it is written in some of the more believable sagas of people digging up burial mounds and utilizing the weapons found. Aside from passing down a favored sword, having a sword or other weapons buried with you or even in a mound possessing no body provides a certain allure. Is it not an intriguing concept that years from now someone could wield a sword, sax, spear, etc. credited to your name, carrying on your legacy, and in a way your story goes on even after death. Surely if that persons later saga is mentioned people probably either know your own or the inclusion would create curiosity. I kind of like the concept that even beyond ones bloodline, one could have a certain kind of immortality on the material plane by having his weapon continue its journey in a new hand creating new legends. At least the concept intrigues me.
Derek D. Estabrook
Quote:Something I've never heard in discussing Germanic burial practices is how often it is written in some of the more believable sagas of people digging up burial mounds and utilizing the weapons found. Aside from passing down a favored sword, having a sword or other weapons buried with you or even in a mound possessing no body provides a certain allure. Is it not an intriguing concept that years from now someone could wield a sword, sax, spear, etc. credited to your name, carrying on your legacy, and in a way your story goes on even after death. Surely if that persons later saga is mentioned people probably either know your own or the inclusion would create curiosity. I kind of like the concept that even beyond ones bloodline, one could have a certain kind of immortality on the material plane by having his weapon continue its journey in a new hand creating new legends. At least the concept intrigues me.

Exactly! I know its not a roman practice, but who knows what cultures may have picked up on certain practices! Although I do not think we will find definite proof of it, it is at least a possibility.
Quote: Royalty like Alexander would rate a big tomb with all the fixings, like his father's (alleged) tomb in Macedonia.

Just out of curiosity, since the discussion is on using an ancestor's sword in the light of gaining some kind of power or status from it, would you want the sword of a peon legionary? It's precisely these royalty members, generals, famed commanders or maybe even a great gladiator whose "spirit" you would want to have in your sword. Right?

Quote:PS: Aren't you supposed to use an ENEMY's bone for your sword grip? And his skin for a drum, etc....
Dependant on the individual culture. What you are referring to is termed EXOcannibalism. ENDOcannibalism is consuming members of your own tribe/family/etc. and was practiced by the aboriginal tribes of Australia and at least one of the New World tribes, among others.
Here is the Encyclopedia Brittanica entry on it.
Sorry for the off-topic tangent
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:
Matthew Amt:3qownask Wrote:Royalty like Alexander would rate a big tomb with all the fixings, like his father's (alleged) tomb in Macedonia.

Just out of curiosity, since the discussion is on using an ancestor's sword in the light of gaining some kind of power or status from it, would you want the sword of a peon legionary? It's precisely these royalty members, generals, famed commanders or maybe even a great gladiator whose "spirit" you would want to have in your sword. Right?

Quote:PS: Aren't you supposed to use an ENEMY's bone for your sword grip? And his skin for a drum, etc....
Dependant on the individual culture. What you are referring to is termed EXOcannibalism. ENDOcannibalism is consuming members of your own tribe/family/etc. and was practiced by the aboriginal tribes of Australia and at least one of the New World tribes, among others.
Here is the Encyclopedia Brittanica entry on it.
Sorry for the off-topic tangent

Wow, I actually wasnt aware of any of that. Did the romans use the bones of their fallen enemies to make the sword grips of their swords? I thought they were just any ordinary animal bone!

And what do you mean by 'peon' legionary? As in puny, you would want something higher ranked, is that what you mean?
Quote:Wow, I actually wasnt aware of any of that. Did the romans use the bones of their fallen enemies to make the sword grips of their swords? I thought they were just any ordinary animal bone!
Indeed, they were. Hence, my apology for taking the thread onto the cannibalism tangent.

Quote:And what do you mean by 'peon' legionary? As in puny, you would want something higher ranked, is that what you mean?
More of reputation than rank, but then there is the assumption that someone of a good reputation is going to get the rank.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.