Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help needed
Splendid shield Andy, congrats and laudes.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]
Seems the Eretrian Teythos is becoming popular.

Kind regards
Thank you very much Andy.This shield I was talking about. It is indeed deeper than I was expecting. How much would the unfinished item cost?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:How much would the unfinished item cost?

You will need to email Wulf I'm afraid - he is the one holding stock. There is an email link out of the 4hoplites website.
ouragos

Andy
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.4hoplites.com">www.4hoplites.com
Great looking shield .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Giannis,

(1) How do you keep the edge from unraveling on the Pteryges? Does the glue make it solid enough to cut and give you a clean solid edge once it dries?

(2) What type of glue did you use?

(3) How do you paint the designs? Is it like painting on a canvas when it is dried?

I really like your linothorax, by the way.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Thanks Chris. Yes,the edges are solid by the glue,but adding abit of glue with your finger on the edge would make it better. There is evidence for trim on pteryges and in a later linothorax I would add a thin layer of linen or canvas there,but in other detailed representations it seems simple. So,you can choose.

Well, the glue I used is Neoprene adhesive. It's called Carmy Fix CM-43. There are better glues of this type,more expensive though. It worked well and alsthough flexible around my body,it makes relatively stiff armour. It doesn't become softer with body heat. In a future project i'd use the same type glue,perhaps a little better quality.

I painted them with fabric paints. That's what I asked at least. Now i think oil would be better. It's thick canvas,so it's pretty much like painting.

Is your next project a linothorax?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
More than likely, yes, after I finish the cuirass and greeves. I might take a break for a while though. I don't know about making more pteryges after sewing 90! I need a break, at least until I stop dreaming about making them.

I forgot that you said yours was canvas in another thread. I guess it would be like 4 layers of linen for every 1 layer of canvas then? I don't want to hijack this guy's thread, but it is on point to what he is making.
"A wise man learns from his mistakes, but the truly wise man learns from the mistakes of others."
Chris Boatcallie
Well,since he asked about linothorax making tips,i think I should have written about these thing on myself :oops:
Mine is rather inaccurately made,in the sence I used canvas instead of linen. At that point when I had made it though the discussion about the finds with 15 layers of linen had not yet taken place. So I used(as you can see in that drawing) only 4 layers of canvas,that gave me the thickness I wanted. About 5mm. This is very thick canvas,used for tents and boat sails. But it gives an accurate look and it saves money and effort.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Oh, okay. That makes sense. It looks really good regardless. I guess then, using your pattern, it would be about 2-3 layers of linen for every layer of canvas. That would get your 6 layers to 12-18 which would hit the right range from the find.
Chris Boatcallie
Not 6 layers. Only four. Each row of pteryges has 2 layers,so when you put the pieces in place,the body consists of 4. For the shoulder flaps I used another 4 layers.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Okay. I am cooking with all burners on now, thanks. :lol:

So 8 layers of linen for each flap using your pattern to get us to 16 layers of linen total for the body and then another 8 layers for the top portion if your using solid linen as opposed to canvas.
Chris Boatcallie
I would say another 16 layers for the shoulder flaps. At least that's what I did. Another 4 layers canvas for the shoulders. And I really think they should be thick enough.
Giannis K. Hoplite