Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap way of making a Utility Knife
As we all need that small knife to carry around with us to cut that annoying bit of string when someone asks, and we all look at each other armmed to the teeth with not a sharp blade in sight :lol: I solved this problem a good few years ago and made a few. there are too ways to do this, first hunt around flie markets for old kitchen knifes. When looking have a picture of the blade you have to make, so the blade you buy will fit the bill. The second I will keep for now but the pic will show what excellent knifes it makes and the edge is lethal no need to harden but cheap Big Grin
[Image: P4040682.jpg]
The top one is a Sheffield steel Victorian carving knife which needed a little bit work to it. The meat cleaver was given to me and was used as a axe so I cut of the corner edge to the shape of Roman cleavers and put a hanging ring on the handle. The bottom one is the cheap blade as you can see you would not know what it was made from :?: Big Grin
The pics below are made from forged Wrought Iron and the edge are lethal on these but it shows the difference in the metals Big Grin
[Image: P4040684.jpg]
All you will need is a grinder with cutting/grinding discs and a flap wheel, you could use a bench grinder at a push but it would take a bit longer. I will revial all tonight Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
More, more!!! :twisted:
Looking forward to the rest of the night! Smile 8)
Manuel Peters
Excellent post.

I never think of doing that since I'm spoiled with a fully stocked smithy. However, "re-purposing" old yard sale knives by grinding a new profile, and replacing the grip is a beautifully simple way most people can make their own period knife.

Well done.
[Image: dirttagline.jpg]
Gobae - The Blacksmith
aka Dan Crowther
Ancient Celtic Clans
Re: Living History Blog
Yes thats right Gobae Big Grin cry: it would be difficult. But here it is Big Grin
[Image: P4040682-1.jpg]
Industrial hacksaw blades, thats why you need a grinder Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DRAWING AND MAKING a Roman Camp Knife avgvstvscaesar 1 1,431 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Sword and knife making Marcus Mummius 7 2,428 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  "Celtic" utility (hunting?) knife & folder Steve Lenz 5 2,224 03-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Steve Lenz