Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tourists \'stripping ancient Rome bare\'
Quote:I wonder why people get so upset about this, just because it is Rome. The press could fill whole newspapers with reports about looted archaeological sites every day. As long as there is a market for it, crime goes on. What is particularly upsetting, is that certain companies earn a lot of money this way, and that nothing is done against it. And everyone here on this board owning original artifacts from the market can pull at his own nose, in that sense. Like it or not.
I think vandalism is even worse than looting because its so pointless. At least the looters get something for their criminal troubles. But its a very old problem: Greek mercenaries scratched things like "Dion son of Archilocus was here" on ancient Egyptian monuments in the sixth century BCE! I agree with you that buying ancient artefacts is wrong unless you are certain that they were scientifically excavated.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Tourists \'stripping ancient Rome bare\' - by Sean Manning - 04-03-2008, 03:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study of ancient battles in ancient Rome Timotheus 3 1,936 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Macedon