Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tourists \'stripping ancient Rome bare\'
WORD to caius. :!:
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:WORD to caius

Two words: Axel Guttman :!:
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
I get occassionally involved with archeology on the Western Front. Quite often, when we leave a dig for the night we sprinkle dozens of small coins onto the surface and in the dig. Usually with a light covering of soil. It really screws up the metal detector bandits who night raid such sites!!!

I've seen the bones of soldiers strewn around, left behind after anything salvagable has been taken from the site - shoulder tags, remains of weapons, etc

There is no end to what some people will do.
Quintus
aka Guido Aston
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Can someone explain to me what are the pottery fragments doing on the site???
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
I have been to Rome and frankly the sight of all those submachinegun toting police officers made me think twice about picking up a little souvenire. :oops:
Angus Finnigan
Quote:he most valuable artefacts were fully catalogued and carefully stored away in warehouses

based on what criteria? Should not *all* artifacts be considered 'most valuable'?

I hate to think some numbskull stripping off a piece from Trajan's column being the key piece of information for us reenactors for our reconstruction and accuracy efforts.

Sigh...Very sad...For all archaeological sites. If people truly cared about preserving and protecting history as they are so caring about Celebrities. :?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study of ancient battles in ancient Rome Timotheus 3 1,889 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Macedon