Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar statue : Quilted Sagum / Paludamentum ?
Avete,

I was looking at a statue of Julius Caesar (from the Louvre) and noticed that the inside of his sagum appears to be quilted.

Julius Caesar statue, click here

See under his left hand where the inside of the sagum is revealed.
Does it really appear to be quilted or is there another explanation ?

Perhaps the statue has been restored based on modern imagination ?

~Theo

[Edited the title of the thread]
Jaime
Well, that looks less like fabric, and more like a stylized shield to me. There appears to be the end of a hand grip visible. But it does look either quilted, embroidered, or otherwise decorated, whatever it is.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Well, that looks less like fabric, and more like a stylized shield to me. There appears to be the end of a hand grip visible.

That makes sense - a hexagonal-shaped shield with a handle. It's really small for a shield but it doesn't appear it can be anything else. I'm suspicious of the authenticity of the statue because it seems so odd that it would feature a shield without a weapon - e.g. a gladius, parazonium, spear, etc.. If only we could see it from another angle.

Good eye, Demetrius Smile

~Theo
Jaime
If you bother to check the accompanying info, you'll learn:

It was sculpted by Nicolas Coustou (French, 1658–1733), commissioned in 1696 for the Gardens of Versailles, to go with the Hannibal by Sébastien Slodtz.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Danno was faster. Smile
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Oh yeah, just scroll down and there it is ... :oops: :lol:

Geez, what the heck was that photo doing in an article about the Roman Tribunate. :roll:

Neo-classical garbage Tongue

~Theo
Jaime
What accompanying info? Or is that on the site you got the photo from?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Statue of Caesar, Parazonium and boots AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 31 8,596 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM
Last Post: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs