Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Roman Reublican items from Erik Konig
Ave Fraters,

I just noticed the Konigs are offering some really neat early Roman gear on their web site. Most interesting is the Republican Breast Plate and the early belts. In a way makes me wish I had waited and put my money towards the earlier impression...so many toys and so little money..

Between Erik, Adrian, and Christian one could put together a great kit!

Any comments?
Roman Name: Gaius Marcius Gracilis

AKA: Mark Headlee
[size=75:2bjfhvle]We have Republican belt components too :wink: [/size]
I tend to find his items possibly the best looking and realistic of them all. They are DEFINITELY the most expensive i've ever seen too Sad
Very well made they are too. I have one of his swords. Erik is a superb craftsman.

As with all craftsmen and suppliers, there are some things that are not as accurate as others.

As an example, Polybius tells us the size of the Hastati breast plates (nearly 30cm2 in todays money) but Erik has made his reconstruction as a large rectangle.
Quote:As an example, Polybius tells us the size of the Hastati breast plates (nearly 30cm2 in todays money) but Erik has made his reconstruction as a large rectangle.

You sure? A plate of 5,4 by 5,4 cm seems veeeeeery small. Tongue

Anyway, I think it is not very sensible in this to make these up. We know of several "square" plates, why not using these as models? And they are roughly 30 by 30 cm. Smile
See e.g.:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/ ... /68210.jpg
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Yes I meant 30cm x 30cm (30 square cm (30cm2))
That would be 900 cm2 Wink [Image: floet.gif]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Yes I meant 30cm x 30cm (30 square cm (30cm2))

30cm x 30cm = 900cm2. Math isn't logical ;-) )
Yes ,I have a couple of his items, they are very nice indeed! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Later Roman knife by Erik Konig Peroni 8 3,400 12-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  New Gallic Helmet from Erik and Ira Konig Mark Headlee 70 13,995 04-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Doc