Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaelogical devestation
Can I draw the members attention to the plight of this site of Archaeological interest- http://www.europanostra.org/save_allianoi.html
This is bordering on criminal and the Turkish government are wavering due to the weight of public opinion. Built in the Hadrianic period, it is largely unexplored but to date they have found mosaics, columns in situ and buildings complete up to the second story. This has the potential to be second only to Pompeii in it's importance. So far this organisation has had over 35,000 signatures for their petition to save this amazing site that is due to be submerged under a new reservoir. Even local people recognise the value to them in tourism rather than a dam which will have a lifespan of only fifty years. Any delay may gain the time that is required to have this declared a World Heritage site.

Thanks

Alan
Something is telling me the Turkish government will not care much.

This may sound stereotypical, but were it Italy or Greece maybe, but seeing as this is a roman site and not, say, a Seljuk or Ottoman site, I think they will care little.

It is a great shame though.
You are right, of course. But they have to be encouraged to see it as of monetary value. Don't like to stereotype anyone either but Agia Sofia survived purely because it became a mosque and anything else in the Middle East has no value other than the obvious one.
I would consider that a much stronger appeal should be put to U.N.E.S.C.O. concerning this matter, for these people have a agreat deal of influence where it comes to World monuments it truely is a disgrace. I think maybe also the E E C should take a part, for is this not the Country that is crying to come into Europes culture.
Brian Stobbs
The exact same thing happened at Zeugma where some of the finest mosaics ever found had to be hastily recovered before the valley was flooded.