Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depictions on Trajan\'s Column
Hello,

where can I get good quality images of Trajan's column? Specifically, I am looking for a picture like this of the bridge across the Danube, but with higher resolution. I found this and this page, but the pics are either too small or too dark and any way copyright protected.

I heard Napoleon III made copies of all reliefs which are now in a better shape than those of the structure itself. Is there any print or online publication of them?

Kind regards
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:I heard Napoleon III made copies of all reliefs which are now in a better shape than those of the structure itself. Is there any print or online publication of them?

Yes, they are all in a book. They were photographed by Cichorius.

Trajan's Column
by Frank Lepper (Author), Sheppard Frere (Author)

456 pages
Publisher: Alan Sutton Publishing, Ltd.; New Ed edition (2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0750924667
ISBN-13: 978-0750924665

Also.. Museo de Civilita Romano, whose best exhibit is a plaster cast of Trajan's Column, all laid out at eye level. I will be visiting there in April!
Thanks. If they made pictures from Napoleon's copies I am fairly sure, that they are now in the public domain, irrespective what the editors may claim, since photos from two-dimensional art like reliefs cannot be longer protected in many states than for 70 years after the passing of the creator, which in this case is Napoleon's copyist.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
There is another book with pictures from the trajans-column: "Die römische Armee" from Yann Le Bohec, Franz Steiner Verlag, ISBN 3-515-06300-5.
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
This books has nice big photos:

The Column of Trajan, by Filippo Coarelli. Translated to English by Cynthia Rockwell (first published in Italian as Colonna Traiana). ISBN: 8886359373.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com
Have you tried [url:3sgfucl2]http://cheiron.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~trajan/index.html[/url]?
Quote:Trajan's Column
by Frank Lepper (Author), Sheppard Frere (Author)

456 pages
Publisher: Alan Sutton Publishing, Ltd.; New Ed edition (2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0750924667
ISBN-13: 978-0750924665

Quote:This books has nice big photos:

The Column of Trajan, by Filippo Coarelli. Translated to English by Cynthia Rockwell (first published in Italian as Colonna Traiana). ISBN: 8886359373.

Do either of these books photograph the entire column, or just selected areas of the column? The web site mentioned only has photographs from selected areas on the column and usually not the areas that interest me.

Thanks.
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Quote:Specifically, I am looking for a picture like this of the bridge across the Danube, but with higher resolution.
Check your e-mail, Stefan! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,653 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,374 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,132 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus