Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epixx Roman Figures
what's your opinion on this?

[url:1vqhw3b2]http://www.epixx-figuren.de/index.php?id=18[/url]
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Look like lovely figures but 9cm is big for anything but display. Do you know how much they are?
Martin
got myself to legionaries and they seem historically pretty correct.
(imperial gallic helmets, lorica segmentata...but i'm no expert)

here in germany single soldiers are about 5 euros, the bigger things like cavalry or ballista range from 10 to about 13 euros I think...
The gladiator art. no. 20306 Caius is not authentic. He wears caligae whereas gladiators fought barefooted, wears one high greave like hoplomachi or thraeces did but they wore them as a pair, the shield reminds of a hoplomachus, the gladius would be the weapon of a murmillo/secutor or provocator.

Art. no. 20310 Lucius is even worse: He has the equipment of a retiarius but fights animals which a venator did. On the floor are lying the helmet and the gladius of a provocator and a small hoplomachus shield.

Art. no. 20311 Grachus is not much better either: A trident and the galerus of a retiarius with a hoplomachus shield and a murmillo greave.

Too bad, I'm looking for nice gladiator figures but except this one murmillo figure I bought in England I did not fight any authentic gladiators so far. Cry
yes, with "historically correct" I only refered to the legionaries.

the gladiators look like the blond-dyed cousin of ralf möller in "gladiator". Big Grin
Quote:the gladiators look like the blond-dyed cousin of ralf möller in "gladiator".

... then looking at Lucius I was reminded of my old He-Man figure ;-) ) ... the texts sound somewhat ridiculous to me, but all seems to be intended for kids ... and from that point of view surprisingly correct

btw ... where are their enemies ...shall they fight the pirates? Big Grin
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
their names are also incorrect.

I would let them fight against the dragon hunters Big Grin

but I'm happy about the fact that the legionaries don't wear attic helmets and leather lorica
I bought Rufus Maximus for £3.50 in a Manchester modelshop the other day. The figure itself isn't too bad, nicely finished and for £3.50 a nice vanilla decoration on the bookshelf.

The gladiator stuff I thought looked awful! I can live with Rufus though.
Quintus
aka Guido Aston
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
I own antonius faustinus and salvius pilatus. they're defending my stereo.
Are these guys fully painted/assembled or do you have to do that yourself? TIA and all the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

I picked two up from a Rome Exhibit in Houston. Id have to check, not sure if it is the same maker, but 90% sure it is.

As stated above the Gladiators aren't great as far as accurate, but i picked up a centurion(apparently not shown) and an Antonius Faustinus. Both seem pretty accurate to my eye. Also picked up a barbarian(supposedly listed as a Dacian.) Not real privy on Dacians so im not sure how accurate it is, he has a short sword and a hatchet, i know the were famous falxmen so again not sure.

Fun for display.
AKA Travis S.
Quote:Are these guys fully painted/assembled or do you have to do that yourself? TIA and all the best, Jon

yep, fully assembled and painted.
The models are made by a division of Revell I believe. Let us not forget they are toys aimed at kids so I guess from that perspective they are pretty good.

I used to make lots of Revell kits years ago, along with Airfix. I remember Airfix used to do a nice sized Roman centurion model, but I guess that was withdrawn years ago. The last one in the series I constructed was Oliver Cromwell as I recall. I certainly haven't seen any of the series in years.

Decius, my Rufus if protecting a 1/16 Panzer III Ausf L.
Cheers
Quintus
aka Guido Aston
Quintus
AKA Guido Aston

[size=100:2nyk19du]The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it. [/size]
Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
Thanks very much! I think I will pick up one or two to set atop my computer tower Smile . All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A little help with 28mm Roman figures kyle 1 2,019 05-20-2013, 06:08 AM
Last Post: damianlz
  Roman Comic (with action figures) Marcus F. 7 3,430 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Revell EPIXX Romans Cornelius Quintus 7 4,907 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat