Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
APU / AMU College Questions
This summer I am going to start going to APU (American Public Univeristy) to finish my degree in history and then partake of their Masters program in Classical Studies.

My wife is also beginning her MBA at AMU. '

We chose the school because being online gives us more options and freedom which fits well into our busy schedule.

Has anyone here taken classes or gotten a degree from here? If so could you pass along some of your experiences so I have some idea what to expect? This is my first time at an online school while my wife got her Bach degree at University of Phoenix which is much more expensive.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Timothy Hanna
Hi Timotheus,

I am currently working on my MA in Ancient and Classical History at APU. So far I've completed three courses and have been very happy with my experience. My instructors have been fantastic, and were tenured professors at Yale, the (U.S.) Naval War College, and Harvard respectively. They have been extremely helpful, understanding and knowledgeable of their subjects.

Online education is certainly convenient, but it requires self-discipline to remain focused on one's studies. Classes usually include weekly discussion topics that are meant to simulate the classroom environment. While these can be engaging, they are no substitute for the free-flowing exchange of points, ideas, and knowledge that you'd find in a real classroom. If you're okay with this, APU is a great place to get your degree.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Congratulations and good luck!
Quote:Hi Timotheus,

I am currently working on my MA in Ancient and Classical History at APU. So far I've completed three courses and have been very happy with my experience. My instructors have been fantastic, and were tenured professors at Yale, the (U.S.) Naval War College, and Harvard respectively. They have been extremely helpful, understanding and knowledgeable of their subjects.

Online education is certainly convenient, but it requires self-discipline to remain focused on one's studies. Classes usually include weekly discussion topics that are meant to simulate the classroom environment. While these can be engaging, they are no substitute for the free-flowing exchange of points, ideas, and knowledge that you'd find in a real classroom. If you're okay with this, APU is a great place to get your degree.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Congratulations and good luck!

Thanks

One big question. U ofPhoenix was big into group projects which really sucked because my wife always had at least one loser in her group who skated through knowing everyone was too busy to complain and would just do his or her work for them.

I was told that APU does individual work and isnt into the learing team concept like UoPhoenix. Is this true? I am definitely not someone who would let a lazy team member ignore his work and still get group credit.
Timothy Hanna
I've never been involved in a group project at APU, nor have I heard of any.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legionary college TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 9 2,972 07-24-2002, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Goffredo