Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New roman Theatre found in Metellinum
here is the information (sorry it is all in Spanish), I'll try to translate later editing the post:

http://www.hoy.es/20080315/regional/tea ... 80315.html

It is one of the bigest theaters found, perhaps as big as Merida's one.
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Wow, how did it go unnoticed for so long with all that laying about....?
Or have they been digging?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The existence of the theatre was known before, but previuos diggins didn't find anything interesting, so archeolists thought that maybe the theatre was destroyed during islamic period.

Current discoveries have been found only one meter deeper than previous ones, by now have been found statues, one impressive leg of a statue (looking the leg, the statue would have been more than 3 meters high) and columns.

Archeologist are just now digging and every day new discoveries appear, they say the situation is very closer to the discovery of the roman theatre in Merida, or even better, because the theatre is intact, it just collapsed over itself and was covered till now (the theatre of Merida was used as a quarry during islamic period). They consider it the "iceberg tip" and think that a few meters near the theatre could appear the local forum. Some rests of the wall of the city has been found too.

Metellium was the firs city founded by romans in this region, founded in republican era by Quintus Cecilius Metelus and this theatre is 50 years older than Merida's one
Javier Sánchez

Awesome!
Was it toppled by an earthquake, and therefor was missed by the quarriers of islamic and later times?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The foundation of Emerita Augusta and the construction of the silver way made Metellium fall into a slow and long decadence, and it is supposed that the city was abandoned.

The fact of being abandoned made the buildings collapse because of the lack of maintenance.

Time passed and after the fall of the empire, visigothics came and stablished in the lower slope of the hill near the river (the roman city was at the top), so anybody built over the ruins that with time got totally covered. That's because when islamics came they didn't find anything there.

What happened in Merida was something similar to things that happened for example in Cordoba or in Sevilla with visigothics, and more with islamics, roman ruins were used as foundations for their buildings. If you go to the mosque in Cordoba you will see that most of the columns are roman columns made of marble.

The islamic castle in Mérida is a good example of it, it was built just at the end of the roman bridge, archeologist say that it was built to protect islamic population from the frequent revolts of the city agains them. I looks like the roman "spirit" (I mean traditions, way of life, etc) were very strong in the natives of the city even in the early Middle Age. The fall of the empire didn't change the way of life or traditions, population was totally romanized, and the change was something gradual.
Javier Sánchez

Impresionante! Confusedhock:

Laudes! Big Grin

Una buena noticia, desde luego...habrá que darse una vuelta por ahí...

Good news, so! I´ll have to do a trip to there... :roll:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
Mucha envidia de mi parte...You are so lucky Iagoba! :lol:

One day I'll have to make a visit to Roman Hispania to se the sites...*sigh* Sad
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
Here are some pics of the diggins:

[Image: 5821jt2.th.jpg] [Image: 1205564454693wl0.th.jpg] [Image: 1205564487570el5.th.jpg]

For those who don't know, this is the village where Hernán Cortés was born
Javier Sánchez

Some more:

[Image: 1205564492922ao9.th.jpg] [Image: 1205564498204ox8.th.jpg]
Javier Sánchez

A nice preview of what has been found:

[url:3fasiaad]http://www.soitu.es/soitu/2008/11/05/infovideos/1225915715_341834.html[/url]
Javier Sánchez

The best pieces were exposed in Badajoz this summer, you can see them here:

[url:1um6mr81]http://www.medellin.es/reflejos_roma.htm[/url]

some more pics:

[Image: 1225900934422.jpg]

Very interesting, bronze letters covered with gold from the theatre front

[Image: 2z71r88.jpg]

[Image: img6209.jpg]

2000 years later people can be in the theatre again
Javier Sanchez

Mui Mui Bonito!!!!!!!!!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Javier,
Do you know which Quintus Caecilius Metellus was the founder? In the year 62BC alone there were 5 prominent men of that name. The reason I ask is that I write about that family in my novels and this could be very useful in my writing.
Pecunia non olet
He should be Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius (Son of Quintus Caecilius Metellus "the numidic". He was consul in the 83 bc, and fought in the civil war with Sila against Caius Marius. He came to Spain in the 79 b.c. as proconsul of the Hispania Ulterior, to fight against Sertorius. The forts of Metellinum and Castra Caecilia were built in 79-78 b.c..
Javier Sanchez

Thank you, Nearco
Pius was one of the 5 I mentioned above. He died that year, succeeded by another of the 5, his adopted son, who had the wonderful name of Quintus Caecilius Metellus Pius Scipio Nasica!
Pecunia non olet