Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please test Re-designed webpages on Roman Military Equipment
Salve,<br>
please have a critical eye on the newly redesigned pages of<br>
www.romancoins.info/Milit...pment.html<br>
With a modem the build up will still be kind of slow, but the large fotos take their time.<br>
Please let me know if you spot major inconsistencies and wrong attributions on these pages, also fotos to fill gaps are still needed and most welcome. More text sections will follow over time.<br>
Raeticus ( [email protected] ) <p></p><i></i>
Very excellent pages!<br>
That Niederber with the pointed visor gave me some ideas about what you can see on which scuplture...<br>
Good point about the difference between the Montefortino and the Buggenum. Maye you should explain that the only difference is the crest knob: solid on the Montefortino and hollow on the Buggenum.<br>
Also, the Theilenhofen helmet is a Guisborough type and was most probably used in combat.<br>
And that black and gold Niedermormter with the mouse and loaf is really beautiful. <p></p><i></i>
Rusticus,<br>
<br>
very nice site. BTW, I suppose it is You in the Niederbieber Helmet - is it a photo montage or are You really wearing the piece? I tried somewhat similar, but had no success thereby.<br>
<br>
Antoninus,<br>
<br>
did You see the two holes in the neck of the eagle and the one in the lower button of the Theilenhofen helmet? On the other side You are right, this photo really shows how large the cheek guards are, so that they could easily cover the chin, as it is shown on two of the so called praetorians from the Louvre relief.<br>
<br>
Greets Uwe <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 4/9/04 1:08 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe
Raeticus,<br>
<br>
by mistake I called You Rusticus within the question in my last comment to this topic My apologies. But the question remains ...<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=uwebahr>Uwe Bahr</A> at: 4/7/04 6:42 pm<br></i>
Greets - Uwe
Uwe,<br>
it is a real person waering the Niederbieber reconstruction, and it fits well as far as I know. It has a soft thin leather lining inside, maybe that helps,<br>
Raeticus <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>let me know if you spot major inconsistencies and wrong attributions<hr><br>
On the Lance/spear/pilum page, your <em>pilum</em> isn't a <em>pilum</em>.<br>
(Where is the photo from? Looks like the shaft has vanes at the end, like an arrow.) <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
It is indeed not a typical pilum (with a pyramid shaped head), even though it seems to be a subtype from the foto. I have never seen the original, so I cannot say much more. The foto of a more typical one is needed. <p></p><i></i>
loved the photos!<br>
<br>
would be even better if smeone would make a website containing pictures all of the original Roman military finds!!<br>
<br>
and keep it updated of course........<br>
<br>
regds.....<br>
M.VIB.M.<br>
<br>
<p>V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A theory on why the Gladius is designed with hilt preventing extended thrusts Wrangler29 1 226 03-22-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Arius
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,018 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  South Italian Military Equipment LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS 1 1,432 10-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Ross Cowan