Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most outrageous (bad) statement made by a teacher to you
Quote:Oh and he also told us that the Persians were more architecturally talented than the Romans and built more, bigger, and better.

I quickly got the feeling that he was a Mid East lover. Especially when he gushed while talking about the Ottoman Empire.

Did they finally track him down and take him back to the institution..... :?:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
This is "Off Topic" ?! O.K. ?!
...I got a quick 'n dirty one:
(From our Back-up Teacher Mr. Feierfeil, a German from Romania)
"Im chweiten Wältkrrieg icht kainem Bolen ein Haarrr gekrümmt worrdn"
(This translates: No polish ever got hurt in WW II) :oops: Confusedhock:
Really nice - huh. Sad x
Siggi
That was by the end of the 60's. Today it's different. ....it's some pupils, not some teachers, this time.(Exceptions do confirm the rules in that, too)
Siggi K.
When I was in fifth grade my teacher insisted that there were no submarines in the American Civil War. This was long before the recent finding and raising of the CSS Hunley, but it's existence was known and documented. The next morning I brought in several books with the appropriate pages tabbed. He insisted that "The books are wrong!" My response was that if he was such an expert that he knew more than the editors and staff of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, Penguin Publishing, and Funk & Wagnalls why was he working as an underpaid civil servant. A shouting and cussing competition was the inevitable result. To this day I relish the memory of his eventual apology.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Mine doesnt apply to the Roman or Ancient Era but I had one teacher who was a indeed a self proclaimed know it all, tell the entire class that all the Germans in WWII were evil and were Nazi's, myself being part German and this being my area of extracurricular study took offense to it and brought up the fact that no not all German people were Nazi's in fact very few of them were even in the party (which does not excuse the actions of those who did evil things) but my main point was the sweeping generalization that they were all bad simply because they were German; was incorrect. She then proceeded to glorify the Red Army etc in which I countered with you could use the same generalization on the Soviets as they did alot of the same things as well.

People who make generalizations in a historical sense that are unfounded make me upset Sad . All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

The 'sunday school teacher' who said i would burn in hell for asking if you could get steak sandwiches in heaven...... :lol:

The entire class voted with our feet and never went back.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Jon,
.... don't you let this worry you too much anymore.
Like I said I've grown to learn to use my middlefinger for "signing-up" the appropriate people.
Just tell them all Nazis were in fact Austrians (or maybe Australians, -- because there are more letters to that word. :wink:
K.I.S.S. -- so why arguing ? And: were are here to learn about history, aren't we ?!)
Greez

Siggi

In future days, will people claim that the Nazis were just gags in films of Charles Chaplin, Billy Wilder and Mel Brooks, -- and nothing more !?
Confusedhock: / :roll: / Sad x oops: (Tick the appropriate)
Siggi K.
I went to school in New Mexico which was, and still is, one of the worst rated systems in a national tradition of bad public schools. I don't remember being taught anything wrong, since they didn't actually teach much to begin with. Also, my parents said that my teachers were never wrong anyway, and to never question them about anything. Most of my teachers were autocratic little old ladies who I was convinced were given awards for being vicious.

In middle school one of this crowd separated the boys from the girls into different rooms and then threw a pamphlet down on each desk dealing with biological reproduction, and said in an irritated tone, "The school board requires that I give you this... (muttered) filth." She then stalked out of the room. I could not believe what was in the pamphlet, and still have my doubts to this day, of course.

R. Izard
Boy, I can tell you stories about malicious professorial commentary...

Early 2002, in my US History class, the professor openly opined that he thought nuking Hiroshima/ Nagasaki were "war crimes" and that one day would be recognized as such.

During the San Francisco Fleet Week, as the Blue Angels were heard approaching my English teacher said "oh no, here come the blue assholes". No, Ward Churchill wasn't my professor (although he looks a lot like him) but the English and History departments of San Francisco campuses are infested with vermin of his ilk.

In my Medieval History class there were snide comments made about Judaism and Christianity, especially against the Roman Catholic Church. Every other faith or cult usually gets a pass or sometimes they'll condemn them by condemning 'religion' in general - a cowardly tactic. They tried suggesting that religious wars were particularly bloody and frequent - neither of which is true. There were intermittent religious wars roughly between 1095 and 1650.

Since then, I've gotten into the habit of recording all my professors' lectures so that I can file a complaint and back it up. Thank God for YouTube.

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:
Jona Lendering:s90bazwd Wrote:A university teacher saying that Archimedes used mirrors to set Roman ships afire.
I also heard that.. but on an old BBC programme the other week. The experiment looked impressive anyway :?
It's possible if the object that you try to hit with your heat ray is not moving, and the Romans must have learned that pretty soon. The anecdote is not told by any ancient author, and surfaces in the works of an early Byzantine writer, Anthemius of Tralles.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Gaius Julius Caesar\\n[quote]The 'sunday school teacher' who said i would burn in hell for asking if you could get steak sandwiches in heaven...... :lol: [quote]

:lol: This one is my favourite. Laude for Byron, hehe
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
This was a nice thread until modern politics & religion showed up.

I do not really understand why it seems to be so extremely difficult to understand a simple forum rule like "no modern politics, no religion." I´ll suggest in the mod-section that we try to find a simpler text for this rule.

Closed. Until further notice.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.