Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Traveling to Rome
From our Newsbot: the Forum appears to be no longer free, starting with March 9. If that means it becomes a bit more quiet, I can only be very, very glad.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
What about the catacombs? Do stick with the group, though. There's a lot of tunnels down there. Is the food vendor still operating in Pompeii? if so, there's your picnic.

As someone else pointed out, be really careful if you're driving yourself. To paraphrase a RTW quote, "A collision on the Strada can ruin your entire day."

Do try to learn some Italian, and get a phrase book. I lived outside of Pozzuoli (in Arco Felice) in 62 and 63. yes, way back in the 20th Century. Wish I could have a) cared more about history then, and b) travelled more anyway.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ok, I got a couple of books about traveling to Rome. All of them have said that some sites are closed unless you make an appointment to see it. One of the main sites I want to see that required that, according to the books, is the mousoleum of Augustus. Is this true? If so where do we go to get that appointment?

We have thought about taking a half day and going to see Ostia. My knowledge of this area is very limited and the pictures I have seen of the ruins show that the site is small. Is it really worth seeing? Most websites I have found about touring Ostia say a tour guide is needed and by appointment only, is this true?

We are planning to go 4-15-09 to 4-25-09 to see the festival of for the founding of Rome, or should we plan to go some other time?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Quote:We have thought about taking a half day and going to see Ostia. My knowledge of this area is very limited and the pictures I have seen of the ruins show that the site is small. Is it really worth seeing? Most websites I have found about touring Ostia say a tour guide is needed and by appointment only, is this true?

Ostia is huge and unmissable in my opinion - very short rail journey out of Rome, and open to the general public to wander unguided at will (which I have been lucky enought to do three times now). You can get a guided tour if you wish and I recall they operate fairly regularly throughout the day. It does not get too crowded either (complete opposite of Pompeii).

I recall the mausoleum of Augustus to be generally accessible, but largely disappointing - much better is the Ara Pacis which was not open for public view for a number of years but is now finally open in a nice new building I believe. (just my personal opinion though!)
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:We have thought about taking a half day and going to see Ostia. My knowledge of this area is very limited and the pictures I have seen of the ruins show that the site is small. Is it really worth seeing? Most websites I have found about touring Ostia say a tour guide is needed and by appointment only, is this true?
Confusedhock: Ostia is a must!

And not small!

And it's certainly not by appointment only...
Have a look at http://www.ostia-antica.org/
The same site also offers a helpful Tourist Guide in .pdf
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Any of the museums allow you to take pictures?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Quote:Any of the museums allow you to take pictures?

Most of the museums of Rome allow you to take pictures, for personal use. If you want to publish them for non-commercial use, you've to ask permission. For commercial use you've to pay an additional fee.
ALA I BATAVORUM