Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gorgons were similar?
I know that Medusa and her two sisters together are the three famous gorgons. However, did they all look identical like triplets or were there differences between them?

I would like to reconstruct a set of phalerae using three Gorgons as a theme since the Sertorius Festus stela has three Gorgons. The Sertorius gorgons are too eroded to distinctly say they are identical or there are differences. Appearence wise, on Sertorius, they look similar but I do not know if this is in fact the case.

The Lauresfort phalerae have two identical gorgons but the Sertorius Festus stela supposedly has three. Three identical images? To me it does not make sense to have three of the same thing.

However, if there are differences then the three gorgons on the Sertorius stela appear more plausible (maybe it is my modern mind not allowing me to accept three identical figures)

To this end before I proceed with a reconstruction, I would like to know if they are exactly the same or different.

If there are differences, can anyone please point them out.

I have read several articles on line but I cannot seem to interpret from them anything saying that the three gorgons were identical, similar, or different.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gorgons and Images Doc 19 4,483 12-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Last Post: Doc