Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Forts in Northeast England - Wikipedia Articles
My first wikipedia article, on a fort about 7 miles from where I live (Consett).

Now followed by articles on Ebchester (Vindomora) and Chester-le-street (Concangis)

More to come.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longovicium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindomora
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concangis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pons_Aelius

Praise and criticism of all kind (within reason) is appreciated. There are still many more forts in the region without entries I intend to writte on, so suggestions, ideas, constructive criticism and such about my first example are welcome.

ALso, remember this is a compilation of many different sources, it is not 'MY' article.

Hope its good!
I like it and thanks for taking the time to write it. laudes
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
Another entry added for Vindomora (Ebchester), also on Dere Street.

Does anybody know why the last 3 images will not show up?

Thx.
I have been looking at the Wikipedia site concerning Longovicivm, this is where yet again archaeology will have it that the Roman Dere street goes through Corbridge when indeed it does not. This Roman road crosses the river Tyne at Bywell coming direct from Ebchester on it's way north, this has been proved by excavation when Raymond Selkirk uncovered the cross roads of Dere street and the Stanegate at Bywell east of Corbridge.
Brian Stobbs
Ok, I see what you are saying.

Is there anything inbetween Ebchester and Onnum? And somewhere I read you said there was a link (road) between Hexham and either ebchester or corbridge, but cannot remember which one.
There are two roads leaving Ebchester, one goes up to Bywell where there was a Roman fort then carries on to Hadrians' wall and beyond. The other leaves Ebchester and goes to Hexham, where yet again there was another Roman fort that held the Ala Petriana.
Brian Stobbs
Ok, so is this correct:

Ebchester > Bywell > Hadrians Wall (Would this be onnum? ) and

Ebchester > Hexham (what came after Hexham? ) (Onnum? )

And which one connects to Corbridge, the fort at Hexham, the fort at Bywell or the fort at Onnum?

Thanks for your patience.
All the evidence for the Ala Petriana came from Hexham, however Archaeologists have claimed that this regiment was based at Corbridge. For no one has yet found a fort at Hexham, but as there is a Roman base at Corbridge so it becomes easier to answer a question. The road that comes from Ebchester goes right to the Abbey where Selkirk suspected a Roman fort, it then carries on to a farm called West warmley on the south bank of the Tyne. It then crosses the river and goes north past the west side of the fort of Procolitia on Hadrians' wall, hence the fort of Procolitia which covers the crossing point of yet another road going through the wall.
Brian Stobbs
There is another aspect of this road via Hexham to Procolitia on Hadrians' wall, it runs past the west side of Coventina's Well. It has been mentioned that this Romano Brittish shrine is the only one with a western entrance. It is only conjecture on my part, but can it be that this shrine predates Hadrians' Wall?
Brian Stobbs
Brian, did you get my message?
I got your message have sent you a one as i've no way to send pics
Brian Stobbs
Ok, I got google.maps to work and plotted out everything you said, seems to make sense.

I've edited the wikipedia entries for Longovicium and Vindomora accordingly. The Ebchester entry in particular should prove informative. If theres any innacuracies please let me know.

Thanks.
Concangis (Chester-le-Street) article added.

More to follow.
I have an interesting pieceof info on "Chester Le Sreet", this is a Roman bridge over the Cong Burn. This bridge is on direct line between Cheser Le Sreet fort and Ebchester. This info comes from the book by Ramond Selkirk..."On The Trail of The Legions"...this book is a must have for understanding the Romans' here in the north. The Grid ref of this is ....NZ260 517 It was only a small bridge over a stream but believe me the abuttment is a realy nice piece of stone work, in the town itself or rather on the edge of it should be seen. I hope this helps you a bit more Yuri.
Brian Stobbs
Yes it does, thanks Brian.

I have spoken to archaeologists that also believe Chester-le-street was also connected to lanchester aswell, I did not know though it was also connected to ebchester (although this makes more sense as they are closer).

I will include this in the article.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman villas in Northern England Robert Vermaat 0 23 04-17-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  The forts and their Garrsions in Northern England prior to Hadrian's Wall felixgallus 2 1,570 07-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Fabricius Carbo
  Roman forts before excavation ... Luka Bruketa 4 1,472 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Last Post: mcbishop