Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iberian Helmets
Hi Michael!

Those shields are really awesome!! Osuna and Lliria styles... here you have some others from Lliria too (III-II cent BC):
This one with a wooden umbo:
[Image: EscudoOval2.jpg]
[Image: S5009249copiar.jpg]

this one with a rounded umbo, dated to early I cent BC:
[Image: Anversoescutlogada.jpg]
[Image: ReversEscutlogada.jpg]

Here you have a Turdetanian Iberian Chieftain (V cent BC), reconstructed from the Porcuna sculptoric group. The drawings belongs to Sergi Segura.
[Image: Turdetanus.jpg]
The mixed leather/bronze helmet detailed:
[Image: Dibujo.jpg]
and the shield stud detailed:
[Image: S5008079.jpg]
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
And some images of Ilergete Iberian warriors training to the early II cent. BC...

[Image: adiestramientodeguerreros.jpg]

[Image: adiestramientoguerreros4.jpg]

[Image: Adiestramientodeguerreros6.jpg]

[Image: rutaibers2008logada3.jpg]
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
Thank you very much for the shield images! Confusedhock: I will definitely add them to the roster. The round bronze embossed shield is very very cool as well. I'll give that to one of our heroes.

As for the helmet, we completed modeling that one and texturing it. It now resides rested upon the head of one of our heroes. Wink

[Image: somecoolstufffp9.th.jpg]

Here Caros stands among some trinkets from other factions in the game (including a gallic helmet and some hellenistic as well as hellenist helmets).
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
Hi,
Here I send images of a reconstruction trial of Porcuna Monument's helmet (Andalusia), in case it may be useful to you.

[Image: cascocuerodeporcuna3.th.jpg]

[Image: cascocuerodeporcuna4.th.jpg]
José Manuel Pastor
And here are three more pictures of iberian shields from Osuna, and Valencia

[Image: escudoibero.th.jpg]

[Image: escudoiberooso.th.jpg]

[Image: escudoliria.th.jpg]
José Manuel Pastor
Quote:Hi,
Here I send images of a reconstruction trial of Porcuna Monument's helmet (Andalusia), in case it may be useful to you.

[Image: cascocuerodeporcuna3.th.jpg]

[Image: cascocuerodeporcuna4.th.jpg]

Now that is cool! Confusedhock:
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
I also post in advance this pictures of celtiberian helmets reconstructed from fragments found in Avila, Teruel and Soria, and I will also send you an email of a recently published article ("El casco celtibérico de la necrópolis de Numancia: ensayo de reconstrucción". Revista Kalathos 24-25. Seminario de Arqueología y Etnología Turolense. Teruel 2005-2006) in which I state that the investigation for their reconstruction has made me consider them as celtiberian pre-roman helmets, probably inspired by greek chalcidian models, but in any case made before the arrival of romans to the Iberian Peninsula.

[Image: casconecropolisnumancia.th.jpg]

[Image: casconecropolisnumancia.th.jpg]

[Image: jinetesibericos.th.jpg]
José Manuel Pastor
Hey!
It's a pleasure to see you here José Manuel! A very good work that helmet!
Don't you have a website?

Un abrazo!
José Miguel Gallego
www.artifexcrpa.com

DELENDA EST ROMA
very nice images ,great work with the helms & shields .Iberian arms are SO interesting 8)
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Gorgeous work! It's really good to see so much non-Greek-or-Roman-yet-Classical work done these days. Has anyone tried to replicate that wolf-mask breastplate?
Pecunia non olet
Hello again, Michel
I send you more pictures of the helmet from a lower plane, I think they can be helpful to you if you decide to use them.
[Image: cascosplano.th.jpg]

Hello José Miguel. It is always pleasant to arrive at a new place and find friends. The web page is being coocked, and we will serve it soon.

Thanks for your interest Barcid. The weapons and tactics of hispanian warriors are so, so, so interesting. They received direct influence from Greece since very early (VII-III BD.) and then they had to fight with and against the two superpowers of the time, Carthage and Rome, wich shows in their weaponry, and also the other way around, they influenced their enemies'. Of course they had their own products, like the mud horns, nearly exclusive of here, and which may interest Michael for his game
[Image: trompasbarro.th.jpg]
[Image: trompasmotivoy.th.jpg]

Hello roberts.
I am of the same opinion and the field of investigation and re-enactment has no end. I have been asked to reproduce the disc breasplates and I show you the results here, They are not always wolves. The best known is the Elche Warrior (Alicante) which matches best with the anatomy of an iberian lynx because of the expression and the hair on then neck, altough it is usually thought of as a wolf.
[Image: pectorallince.th.jpg]
[Image: pectoral.th.jpg]
[Image: pectoralosoj.th.jpg][Image: pectoraldiscos.th.jpg]
José Manuel Pastor
Awesome work, I am really impressed Confusedhock:

I would suggest a "show here your iberian warrior impression" post Big Grin
Javier Sanchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:Awesome work, I am really impressed Confusedhock:

I would suggest a "show here your iberian warrior impression" post Big Grin

Ditto , Long overdue Big Grin .
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Quote:
[Image: trompasbarro.th.jpg]
[Image: trompasmotivoy.th.jpg]

I allways wondered: "What do they sound like??"
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
This has not to do with helmets, but since the thread was about an historicaly accurate game I thought this could be of use too.

Mythos_Ruler, I was checking your website for the PC game called "0 A.D.". I was checking some of the screenshots and came across one from an Iberian "desert fortress".

I'm not sure how you guys/gals are representing the terrain in the game, but there seems to be some preconceptions.

First, palm trees are not indigenous to Iberia and were introduced there originally by the Phoenicians in the 6th Century BC and later consolidated by the Arabs (the later created the famous Palm Forest in Elche). It's doubtfull that there were many of them except for some local Phoenician plantations.

Second, you seem to represent a "desert" territory, full of palm trees, with a fortress in it as a typical "iberian" landscape. I already comented on the palm trees but I'd like to add that the present day "deserts" of Iberia (in Spain more properly) are actually the result of erosion of man-made origin. Most of Iberia at the time was covered by typical mediterranean forest (pine, cypress, oak, etc), plus grasslands, swamps, etc.

Basically, you would find as much "deserts with palm trees" in Iberia as you would in Southern France, Mainland Italy or Greece at the time.

Hope that's usefull.
Pedro Pereira

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iberian \"Sinew\" Helmets and Lliria Vase Armour oudysseos 16 6,992 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Last Post: richard robinson