Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siege of Tyre - Flying Shields/ufos?
I've heard rumors that ancient sources claim that large silver shields were sighted flying in the sky during Alexanders seige of Tyre and that they actually shot fire at the walls which allowed his men to gain entrance into the city. I know this sounds rediculous, but are there any real contemporary sources for this claim? What the hell are they talking about? I've never read about this in any book about Alexander, only in UFO special or books making outlandish claims of sightings throughout history. If I'm wrong and there are records to back this up than I'd rather be sure of what the truth really is and not just my view of it, but are these people misinterpreting what was written or reading from texts that just cite rumors many years later? Where does this story come from?
Dennis Flynn
I've heard about it. I think it was on the History channel, one of there UFOs in History. They didn't give a source though, but it seemed interesting! I'm not sure if its a period account or something written about like 1000 years after.
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
I, being typically unreasonable, would vote for the latter. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
It is never mentined in any of the accounts I have read of Alexander's history. :wink: Of course, there are probably more around.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What I want to know is, "Why are there never any Flying Cups seen"? Is it because they lack the weight balance for interstellar travel? :lol: Don't get me wrong, the Universe is a really big place, and there might be people somewhere else, but finding this tiny dust speck in the vast reaches, and actually getting here, only to frighten people camping in the forest, etc., well, that's statistically improbable IMHO.

I doubt interstellar travellers would interfere in a Bronze Age city seige. What would be the point?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Guess they were after the gold too! Or maybe they were after the priestesses in the temples........who knows Confusedhock: :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
yeah than it should probably be classified into the topic of bullsh*t
Dennis Flynn
Quote:Where does this story come from?
Probably a misunderstanding of Diodorus: he writes that shields with sand were heated; when they where glowing of the heat and the sand was red-hot, the defenders threw them through the air at the attackers.

Even this story can not be true: when sand is red-hot, the shield has already molten.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Flying shields do occasionally turn up in old sources - off the top of my head I can only recall the Annales Regni Francorum for 775, but they are already a topos by then. This is the first time I heard of them in connection with Alexander, though.

Are we sure it's not the Hierosolymitan Flying Carpet Force piloting unmarked bathmats for plausible deniability?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
I think it's totally plausable. After all, UFOs were sighted in ancient Judea

UFO Judea
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Quote:I think After all, UFOs were sighted in ancient Judea

UFO Judea

It's also totally plausible that Romans had....odd names too!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGb4STRf ... re=related :lol: :lol: :roll:
Sean Marcum

Roma Victrix! 
Odd names, all right, but what have the Romans ever done for us?? :lol: :lol: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I know right, roman foundation of western civilization....psshhh...what a hoax....u ever notice romans has 6 letters and so does cheney? conspiracy man
Dennis Flynn
on a serious note though, since there obviously are no aerial vehicles I'm assuming they are misidentified interpretations of comets, meteors, and other weather or astronomical phenomenon...BUT some of these accounts like the famous "battle over Nuremburg" in 1561 have to be taken into serious account.
Dennis Flynn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swiss do it again: flying without a plane richsc 3 1,176 01-01-2007, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Ron Andrea
  flying 262s again... TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 132 19,088 11-27-2006, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Arthes
  UFOs in ancient warfare Arthes 11 2,029 11-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Last Post: Arthes