Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPANISH "SEMANA SANTA" CORRECT ROMANS
Even Eastern Spanish celebrations, what it is called "The Holy Week"
processions, celebrated in many Spanish towns, are using more accurate Roman suits to dress their carved wood sculptures.
Helmets, swords, belts and hamatae supplied by Armillum.com, signum supplied by Terry Nix.
Link to the YouTube movie
Jorge Mambrilla
Quote:Even Eastern Spanish celebrations, what it is called "The Holy Week"
processions, celebrated in many Spanish towns, are using more accurate Roman suits to dress their carved wood sculptures.
Helmets, swords, belts and hamatae supplied by Armillum.com, signum supplied by Terry Nix.
Link to the YouTube movie
That's good news - I just saw that Mel Gibson movie again, who was so confident that it was all historically correct that he forgot to replace the camel (not a near-eastern animal) in the movie with a dromedary.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:I just saw that Mel Gibson movie again, who was so confident that it was all historically correct that he forgot to replace the camel (not a near-eastern animal) in the movie with a dromedary.

:lol:

Almost like that llama before the gates of Troy....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Almost like that llama before the gates of Troy
Which, of course, proves that the Trojans had trade with the peoples of the Andes at that time. Now you can find Trojans in any grocery store, so it continues, eh?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Almost like that llama before the gates of Troy
Which, of course, proves that the Trojans had trade with the peoples of the Andes at that time.
:lol:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Wow.

I love the pomp and pageantry. In the US we seem to have very bland, austere Holy Week celebrations by comparison.

Quote:That's good news - I just saw that Mel Gibson movie again, who was so confident that it was all historically correct that he forgot to replace the camel (not a near-eastern animal) in the movie with a dromedary.
I don't recall the scene but camels were used in caravans so they would not have been unknown in Judea.

I think we may have different definitions of "Near East". Traditionally, IIRC, it includes all the eastern Mediterranean regions plus Mesopotamia. The Middle East starts with Persia (from the Zagros Mountain range) and ends roughly near eastern Afghanistan or a little beyond. Is this accurate ?

Interestingly, this articlefrom Wikipedia says that camels were introduced to Africa in the second millennium BC but disappeared. Then domesticated camels were introduced to Africa during the Persian invasion of Cyrus the Great's son. I thought the Romans permanently introduced them to the continent.

~Theo
Jaime
When I heard "romans" during Holly Week in Spain, I always have a shock Confusedhock:

Recently in Calahorra, some northern Spanish late roman group :roll: was there, taking part in the Roman Events they hold...
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.