Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source for this armor?
Any true source for this random armor? Looks like a breastplate with mail on the edges.<br>
<br>
www.worthplaying.com/pres..._small.jpg <p></p><i></i>
It looks better here:<br>
www.worthplaying.com/pres...war_21.jpg<br>
<br>
I have never seen it. <p></p><i></i>
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Impressive picture, but the armor looks like it's just made-up. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
If I'm not mistaken, that is a screen shot from "Rome: Total War," a PC game. Don't look for extreme authenticity.<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
Extreme you say?<br>
I'd say: 'Don't look for a mynimal authenticity!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Extreme indeed!<br>
<br>
Either the grass is elephant grass... or the soldiers are only 40 cm in lenght!<br>
<br>
Or, the soldiers are indeed life-size.. then their banners are 10 meters high!<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Vorty, don't talk that way about the game I love!<br>
<br>
Seriously though, from what I remember of Medieval Total War, this game's predecessor (almost gave me RSI...), the huge banners are just a gaming device to enable the quick identification and control of the different units (click on the banner and give them orders). You may notice there are proper standards, but at a distance, when you zoom out, they're too small to be seen. A whopping big flag (and I think it "floats" above the unit as well) works well, however.<br>
<br>
But I agree, there's one thing that bugs me. Medieval Total War wasn't historically all that accurate, but it did try, in the sense of creating a playable and enjoyable compromise between history and gameplay (battle sounds, shouts etc. were created with the help of Australian re-enactors, if I remember correctly). Rome Total War may be even a better game, but they seem to have gone for the "fantasy" angle. I blame Gladiator.<br>
<br>
Damn you, Ridley Scott, may your soul descend to Hades! <br>
<p></p><i></i>
Andreas Baede