Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liberator\'s Legions
Does anyone know what legions served Brutus and Cassius against Octavian and M. Anthony?

I've read they had 19 legions but no mention of who served under Brutus and Cassius respectively
My guess is .....the losing ones... :twisted: :lol:
But to be honest, I would need to look it up myself.
I know they raised or at least gathered several of these legions from the eastern provinces......their designations escape me tho' :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Well, I do know that Julius Caesar didn't write anything about that war.
Tongue roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
:evil: I'll get you ....... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I doubt that you'll find much. Most were newly raised or civil war leftovers or whatever else was around. They probably gave them numbers according to their liking from I to whatever they wanted to and I guess most didn'T have specific names or none that survived.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
According L. Keppie, The Making of the Roman Army (1984), 119 & 200-201, the Liberators had c. 17 legions. Some were originally formed by Caesar out of the remnants of Pompey's army in 48 BC and sent to garrison the eastern provinces. These legions were later forced or persuaded to go over to Brutus and Cassius.

Keppie identifies legions XXVII (formed by Caesar 49 BC), XXXVI (ex-Pompeian), XXXVII (ex-Pompeian), and possibly XXXI and XXXIII, as belonging to the army of the Liberators.

Cheers,

R
Quote:Keppie identifies legions XXVII (formed by Caesar 49 BC), XXXVI (ex-Pompeian), XXXVII (ex-Pompeian), and possibly XXXI and XXXIII, as belonging to the army of the Liberators.
Here is a table that summarizes Keppie's research.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Here is a table that summarizes Keppie's research.
Very nice work, Jona.
(I was initially confused by your Legion I, which appears to begin as a 3-year old legion, but then I realised what you'd done.)
Good work!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:(I was initially confused by your Legion I, which appears to begin as a 3-year old legion, but then I realised what you'd done.)
Good work!
Them Romans oughto have called them Ia and Ib...
Jona Lendering
My website
Thanks for the info guys!

Its interesting to know that Brutus and Cassius had experienced legions on their side. I originally thought the majority of their army was made up of newly created, poorly trained soldiers
So what happened to Caesar's 10th legion?
The veterans!
Lucius Varenus.
Legio XIII
Quote:So what happened to Caesar's 10th legion?
The veterans!
Here is the summary of Ritterling and Keppie.
Jona Lendering
My website