Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marvel Comics: Iliad
Am I the only one who is reading Marvel's version of the Iliad? So far (three installments out of eight), I think they do a good job.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the heads up on this Jona!! Big Grin It's certainly got my interest and I think it's a brilliant way of introducing today's youth to Classical lore. If one types the title 'The Iliad', into the Marvel site's search bar, you're treated to a nice peek at the cover art for the first seven installments of the series. I rather enjoyed the covers. How's the art between those covers?
Javier Lorenz Jr.

"The path to salvation is narrow and as difficult to walk as the razors edge" - W. Somerset Maugham
Well, I have the one from 1977 ...

I wonder if it's worth anything...

Big Grin

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:I rather enjoyed the covers. How's the art between those covers?
I'm pretty impressed, actually, and decided to write a longer review. It's the first time that a work of art really conveyes something of the beauty of Homer - I have seen plays, an opera, movies, all based on the Iliad, but none of them captured that odd combination of tragic and one-dimensional heroism. It's not "Maus", but it proves again that literature and comics are not mutually exclusive.
Jona Lendering
My website
Before everyone starts to run away with Marvel, you might one to take a look at the long running series 'Age of Bronze' by Eric Shanower.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I was introduced to the Illiad and the Odessey in my early years in a pictorial/narrated form by my primary school teacher. She was pretty good at telling a story, and with the images in the book, allowed for some
good imagery formation development! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Very interesting -- these both bare investigation.

How would you compare these two versions to Frank Miller's take on the Spartans?

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Jaime wrote:
Quote:Well, I have the one from 1977 ...

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

I wonder if it's worth anything...

Jaime I still have my old 'Classics Illustrated' version! Sadly the cover art is better than that inside.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:How would you compare these two versions to Frank Miller's take on the Spartans?
Miller is the greater artist, but I think that his idea that Greek civilization was "the world's one hope for reason and justice", and that the Persians were living "in a sea of mysticism and tyranny" is dangerous. Here is my essay. The Iliad -or better: the three instalments so far- is free from this nonsense.
Jona Lendering
My website
Eric Shanover's Age of Bronze is quite interesting. He is very comprehensive and he tries to bring in as many myths as possible.

He is moving slowly through the saga of the Iliad. He's done his third compilation and the fighting at the Trojan war has barely started. There have been many other battles and torrid love affairs though.

The most unfortunate part is that it's black and white..... All these Greeks and Trojans look alike, although Agamemmnon has a very distinctive beard.[/i]
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Quote:Well, I have the one from 1977 ...
Wow -- that takes me back, Theo. My copy is probably still tucked away in a box in my mother's attic (along with The Odyssey).

If it's worth anything, let me know! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Jona,

Thanks for the link and the info...I will check our local comic book shop for these.

I agree with the thrust of your essay though I do think Hollywood has always played fast and lose with history and for a host of reasons, most of them economic. :?

The fact that Miller based his comic book on the old Hollywood film "The 300 Spartans" only served to compound the problem, and to my mind that older film is better in the telling of the story than is the new film, flashy though it may be.

Thanks again.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I still wished they'd have done a "Gates of Fire" by Stephen Pressfield movie about Thermopylae instead of "300". Now they probably won't for decades.

Legion: TBD
are their any comic-books with ancient roman subjects available?
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:are their any comic-books with ancient roman subjects available?
I know there's one on the Batavian Revolt, but I have never seen it.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Caesar\'s Gallic War in a french comics adaptation Vincent Pompetti 42 21,749 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Vincent Pompetti
  Iliad - new translations Epictetus 17 5,558 11-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Ancient Rome in comics rononmaximus 11 12,949 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Last Post: IGNATIUS LARRASUS PROFUTURUS