Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rachel Weiss - Ancient Librarian
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/0 ... andri.html
Rachel Weisz! I'm there. Of course, her track record as a librarian isn't all that great--she knocked over all the shelves in "The Mummy". Now she gets to burn one down! Of course, almost all "historical" movies are trash these days, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hmmmm...interesting :?

Thanks for the alert Lanista -- have to keep an eye out for this one.

As Matthew rightly points out most "historical" films are anything but, and this one sounds like no exception, however it does deal with a period in Roman history seldom seen and might prove amusing.

Well. we can hope... :roll:

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I think we all just need to pray that Hollywood moves on to some other hot topic soon and leaves history to the historians...I was hoping Lord of the Rings would do the trick a few years back but it seems even that was not enough...*sigh*
Joseph Pietrykowski
Ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant
Heheh...The director said "Hyper-Realism"

And even says we need to smell and feel...How is that going to work on the Big Screen...Hmmmmm Tongue

Anyway, I agree with Matt, Weisz as a mousy librarian is a good bet visually. Big Grin
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Quote:Rachel Weisz! I'm there. Of course, her track record as a librarian isn't all that great--she knocked over all the shelves in "The Mummy".

:lol: That was a great scene!

Film sounds interesting and she's a good actress, so I'm in.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Shje can knock my shelves over anytime.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:As Matthew rightly points out most "historical" films are anything but, and this one sounds like no exception

Indeed, they seem to have already bastardized the history, (no surprise !)

According to imdb.com they're going to portray her as an atheist :roll:
She would not have been flattered since she was really a Neoplatonist.

I suspect these writers are going to try to reinvent her into an atheist martyr of some kind...gee, can't wait....:evil:

~Theo
Jaime
I suppose they have here portrayed as a prototype nun?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I suppose they have here portrayed as a prototype nun?

It's funny you should mention that, Gaius.

No, it's actually the other way around. She was a pagan philosopher and as such was expected to live a life of celibacy - it was a sign of enlightenment to the ancient Greeks and Romans to renounce sex.

The Christian clergy were imitating pagan philosophers in their practice of living a celibate life. Pagan observers of the Christian laity, like Galen, were deeply impressed by their sexual mores which reminded them of their own pagan philosophers. To quote Galen :

"Their contempt of death is patent to us every day, and likewise their restraint in cohabitation. For they include not only men but also women who refrain from cohabitating all their lives; and they also number individuals who, in self-discipline and self-control, have attained a pitch not inferior to that of genuine philosophers." (Galen, 2nd C. AD)

True, the Christians had biblical teaching to draw upon for living a celibate life - i.e. St. Paul - but the pagan philosophers also made an impact.

~Theo
Jaime
Thanks for the info Theo ... She sounds like a far more fascinating person than the character they are "creating" for the film. Too bad -- once again fact proves to be better than fiction and it is unfortunate that the film makers do not trust the audience.

Still, as Tarbicus has oft reminded us, we should not judge a cake or a creative work that is only half baked. Perhaps the finished film will be better than we fear, though it does look like yet another great opportunity has been missed. Cry

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Still, as Tarbicus has oft reminded us, we should not judge a cake or a creative work that is only half baked.
As long as they don't leave it half-baked! Big Grin
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Shje can knock my shelves over anytime.

Now that speaks volumes!....... badaboom! Tongue
Tom Mallory
NY, USA
Wannabe winner of the corona
graminea and the Indy 500.
:roll:
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote:
john m roberts:1cx8ftqe Wrote:Shje can knock my shelves over anytime.

Now that speaks volumes!....... badaboom! Tongue

Perhaps we should close the book on this discussion... :?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA