Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police shield wall
Don't want to get into the politics of it all, but noticed this (rather poor) shield wall formd by the Chinese police in Tibet
[Image: Lhasa6_304281a.jpg]

And compared it to the rather better drilled RMRS "contra equites" drill
[Image: s_DSC_0091.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Makes you wonder if, in the heat of battle, that's more like how it would have looked.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Our riot shields are the same size, only difference is the handle and arm strap config is totally different. The formations (wedge, line, overhead cover) are nearly identical to the stuff I see us doing at events.

Of course a night stick replaces the short sword, but one wonders....
Can't see the pic of us...is it the one from Corbridge?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
For my book on Alexander, the Amsterdam police gave me much advise on subjects we RATs call falanx and cavalry. (Not to mention the fire department, which helped me put a royal palace ablaze.) In his book The Face of Battle, John Keegan explains the shockwave that can disturb a tightly-packed group of soldiers, referring to a movie about policemen.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
When describing Roman tactics to the public I usually ask them to "Forget Gladiator and think riot cops instead". It's such a good modern analog to the Roman soldier's experience, right down to the comparable length of the baton and gladius. It makes me wonder how much more efficient a testudo would have been with see-through scutae.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
I don't know that shield pattern on the first photo. Where is it based on?

Otherwise, good to compare those pics. There are many analogues between the ancient and modern world.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Interesting. I think it's the vagaries of terrain.

You can see the Police formation might be being distorted by the obstructions on either side of the street (pillars?), anchoring the wings. Perhaps the centre has bowed forward due to some compression of the line in the width of the street, or the wings have stopped at the obstruction and it has taken a momentary delay to halt the centre. Having to push even a single shield wall forward around a tree both disrupts the specific area and bends the line - it reforms swiftly, but not to parade-ground standards.

I think this may have been exacerbated by the detritus, presumably missile bricks, on the ground: I find that one ranker standing or, worse, kneeling on a tent peg or thistle, slipping in mud or pot-hole, moving out of position to avoid horse muck or bush, catching a scabbard fitting on someone else's shield strap, or snagging their mail on someone's shield rivet can create an imperfection, which then amplifies as others have to overextend to cover a hole or support a colleague. Sorted in seconds unless that's when you have to charge or receive an attack. :wink:
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
rusty myers\\n[quote]Our riot shields are the same size, only difference is the handle and arm strap config is totally different. /quote]

I have sometimes wondered about the weight of riot shields and whether that affects their use or protective ability compared to wooden reconstructions.

I find quite a diffence between my light and heavy shields when taking more serious missiles and strikes. It's also quite a compromise between keeping them on station vs absorbing the blow: with a cavalry lance I find myself moving my body to avoid a shield rim in the face, not an option in a tight formation. One thinks of the infamous half brick compared to a staff sling heavy missile!

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
They are much lighter, 5-6 pounds tops. But are made to stop rocks and such, not arrow, spear, etc would go right thru.
Of course I think the Police here were not concerned with parade ground perfect formation either, just protecting themselves... Things change when the weapons are real... Important thing is no officers down (from a non-political angle. Same concern we would have).
Cheers, Rusty., it must make quite a difference being able to see through them too - our advancing fulcum is blind!

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Quote:It makes me wonder how much more efficient a testudo would have been with see-through scutae

I'unno, Clodius, would you *really* want to see a projectile coming down ontop of you through your shield?

Esspecially one of George Metz's "Tank Rounds", or one of Fred's 3 pound "ballista atomica" stone balls?

Confusedhock:
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
Thinking of the South Korean police which was discussed a while ago, they were also inch perfect during drills. But when it came to the real thing during a riot, and I suspect they're actually trained better than the ones at the top of the thread, different story altogether.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I would agree, Jim. The stress of battle and 'life or death' ( or 'life and limb' in riots) can play havoc with training and drills - but at least they are doing it....

This is why modern armies/police forces ( and ancient ones too) insist on doing their drills over and over, to the annoyance of troops and especially recruits who are bored and complaining they can do it in their sleep!! Sad

.....and that's exactly the point!! :twisted:

When you are gibbering with fear, can't think straight, your best mate is lying dead at your feet, your wits have fled, and the brown stuff is literally running down your leg; when the Centurion shouts " Fulcum!" or the Sergeant yells "Lock and Load!", it has to happen automatically, without thought.......even if it doesn't "look pretty".
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff