Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman triangular standard
www.christies.com/LotFind...ID=4265338<br>
<br>
The above auction lot shows a triangular standard. I assume that this was attached to a standard pole with other decorations similar to the Praetorian standard shown?<br>
<br>
Any other thoughts?<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
That is actually an interesting piece.....not what I'm used to seeing in illustrations. <p></p><i></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
IMHO, tht is not a standard at all! It is avotive plate for being exhibited inside a Temple.<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Aitor, I would certainly agree. I guess someone pulled the wool over old Guttman's eyes as far as this being a military piece. I have heard there is half of a decorated ridge helmet in the auction too, but haven't tracked it down yet. Have you seen it?<br>
<br>
<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Yes- it is an iron and copper alloy Intercisa helmet- half only surviving.. The iron has a gilded copper overlay, with the rim pierced for lining. The attached crest is decorated with shallow ridges. Rather oddly, it is paired with a Roman bronze muscled breastplate 1st century BC/ AD and a 6th Century AD cheekpiece! (Lot 163, page 159 of catalogue).<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Paulus <p></p><i></i>
Dan,<br>
Look for the ridge helmet here: [url=http://www.legionsix.org/Real%20Gear.htm" target="top]www.legionsix.org/Real%20Gear.htm[/url]<br>
The lower holes are not for the lining, Paulus, they are to few and spaced, they are for rivetting a base ring to the bowl. The most exciting feature of this helmet is that it exhibits the way the Intercisa type solid crests were attached to the bowl, via (of course) a ridge!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner