Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prisoners
When accused criminals were being tried in court where were they held as their case went on? The prison Tullianum? Or is it not known?
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
I don't know, but:

Krause, Jens-Uwe: Gefängnisse im Römischen Reich, Heidelberger althistorische Beiträge und epigraphische Studien 23, Stuttgart : Steiner, 1996, ISBN 3-515-06976-3

does.

Good hunting.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:Heidelberger althistorische Beiträge und epigraphische Studien
Lovely title. Somehow, things sound better in German. My favorite is the journal called "Münsterschen Beiträge zur Antiken Handelsgeschichte": even a subject as boring as ancient trade history starts to sound interesting once you say it in German. Who can resist an article that is called "Zum Waren- und Dienstleistungsaustausch zwischen dem römischen Reich und dem freien Germanien in der Zeit des Prinzipats. Eine Bestandsaufnahme"?

(And no, there is no hidden sarcasm in this remark.)
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Welll, can anyone give a straightforward answer? I'm not very fluent in German :lol:

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
Quote:Welll, can anyone give a straightforward answer? I'm not very fluent in German :lol:

You are right, you deserve an answer. Prisoners were probably held in holding cells close to their place of trial.
Here's an article about holding cells in ancient Palestine.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
High-ranking prisoners were sometimes held in the homes of their peers. Some of the Catilinarian conspirators were kept in the homes of ex-consuls.
Pecunia non olet
Thanks Robert and John! Very interesting!

So it's not like Rome HBO, where the defendant is in a box, and people throw things at him, etc? Darn. And I was so sure that show had something right.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.