Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War Tactics - The NON-cheese variety
Currently I'm playing in RTR the Roman faction and the formation I use most consists of six heavy infantry cohorts in the first line. Two further heavy infantry cohorts at the left and right flank, stand a unit-depht backwards and form with the six in the first line a flat U with the opening facing away from the enemy. Inside that U are four units of slingers and two or three missile troops.
In the back I have my general and a cavalry unit either on the right or left flank. It's normally better to have them attack downwards. In case the enemy has artillery I try with the cavallery to bypass the main body of the enemy and finish the artillery, which is marching slower and therefore mostly alone in the back without much protection.
btw it's always a good idea to have a cavalry squadron operating in the back of the enemy as he will send single units towards it, thus exhausting his troops, dividing and breaking its formation
If I have them, I use two scorpion units, mixing them in the center of the first line. The scorpions are pretty effective against phalanx troops and should be used until out of ammo (then I usually let them retrat from the battle field in order to save the men)
Sometimes I use a thin line of merc's (cannon fodder ;-) ) ...) before the first line to break the impetus of the enemy charge.

thin line of mercs (mostly speartroops)

HI HI Sc HI HI Sc HI HI

HI Mi Sl Sl Mi Sl Sl Mi HI

Gen Cav

p.s. I usually direct missile troops to attack the right side of an enemy unit, because the shield protects primarily the left side of the body... to be honest, I dunno if RTW or any of its mods takes this into account, but may be ... :?
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Rome Total War Tactics - The NON-cheese variety - by Tiberius Clodius Corvinus - 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,282 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,925 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 91,756 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67