Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rome Total War Tactics - The NON-cheese variety
may be we should make a "scientific test" on this matter ;-) ) ... I can do it in RTR
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
:lol: ahh well, I have rebellions to surpress, c'ya! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:as I am sure the effectiveness is reducedwhen you attack the shielded sides of enemies
I don't know about scientific tests, but all missile troops seem to inflict more damage when attacking the shield side.

Has anyone else found that light infantry/velites are a good defense against chariots? Not the missile chariots, the wicked ones that devastate infantry. Like the British and Egyptians. Ick. Cavalry doesn't do well at all against those. Suggestions?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I'm now playing with Seleucid's and that is my tactic (very classical):

I use a single long line of phalanx, with both flanks covered by legionaries, archers march forward the phalanx line and when the enemy is near, they run to the phalanx back and fire at will.

I use tho groups of cavalry, formed by hetairoi, cataphractes and chariots at both sides of the infantry.

Firs of all I order the infantry to advance, and I attack the flanks of the enemy formation with chariots. Once broken the enemy formation I send a second wave with the hetairoi and a third wave with catphractes, so the flanks usually run away. At this time the phalanx has reached the center of the enemy formation and it is fighting face to face. I send the legionaries to open lines and start involving the enemy flanks and I finally attack the enemy center from his back with cavalry and chariots.
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:
Quote:Has anyone else found that light infantry/velites are a good defense against chariots? Not the missile chariots, the wicked ones that devastate infantry. Like the British and Egyptians. Ick. Cavalry doesn't do well at all against those. Suggestions?
The problem I found was that the spear throwers didn't get off even one volley before fleeing or the chariots getting among them. If you leave Skirmish on, the spear throwers just run away taking the chariots with them, and they are slowly run down. They do get an attack bonus against chariots, and maybe if you turned skirmish off ...

I just lured chariot-weilding enemies to charge my double-ranked legion and get entangled! The chariots die fast once they stop and loose the charge bonus. But I was playing Rome against an AI Pontus (typical army: about a thousand Eastern Infantry for foot and some medium cavalry and scythed chariots) so I was a bit spoiled.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
The Evidence!!! Big Grin D D
Quote:as I am sure the effectiveness is reducedwhen you attack the shielded sides of enemies
I experimented with the RTW battle editor and let two slinger units (one from left and one from right) attack a blocked greek phalanx unit on a bridge. I did three times the same battle and found that almost exactly 33% less troops were killed, when the shielded side was attacked. - So positioning your missile/slinger-troops on your left flank should be a good idea.

Quote:Has anyone else found that light infantry/velites are a good defense against chariots? Not the missile chariots, the wicked ones that devastate infantry. Like the British and Egyptians. Ick. Cavalry doesn't do well at all against those. Suggestions?
When fighting armies, which have elephants or charriots I usually raise one or two phalanx mercenary units and place them in front to break the charge. As the velites are concerned its better to turn skirmish off, I think, and enable the "loose formation"-option. Many who will be mowed down at first, will stand up again shortly afterwards.
I would have said attack the unshielded side myself....it always seems to work for me :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
A phalanx is the best to stop chariot charges, chariots has only 1 of defense I think, and they die once they touch the spear of the enemy. For this reason is important to help them with cavalry after their charge
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Archers or slingers? Which do you prefer and why?
Timothy Hanna
I like both, for different reasons, archers for the flaming arrow option,
and slingers for range and effect! Mind you, they are pretty useless against clibinari and catephractes...
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I like both
me too, but use only one of them in most cases ... it think its better to rationalise reinforcement-capabilites
Quote:archers for the flaming arrow option
a MUST when fighting Elephants. Otherwise is the accuracy pretty much decreased, when fire-firing ;-) )
Quote:slingers for range and effect
are you sure they're better than archers :? ... I ever thought the range of the archers is wider (but I may be wrong on this)
... as to effect: I found slingers quite useless when "firing" at phalanx troops facing them ... better results with arrows :twisted:

... ok, back to RTR ... the Macedon enemy won't forgive any longer absence of mine ;-) )
Which slingers? Rhodians seemed to be better against a phalanx than ordinary archers were. And any missile troops are fairly useless against a phalanx from the front in the standard game (the lowest grade of spear and pike phalanx excepted). On the other hand, IRRC the basic game treats standard slingers on par with javelin-throwing skirmishers as the light troops you get if you can't afford archers or Rhodians.

I use both archers and slingers. Each has its useless, and its realistic. Also, if you can train one you can usually train the other.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Code:
Which slingers?
... can't tell anymore ... i felt it's a general thing :? twisted:
Quote:Also, if you can train one you can usually train the other.
... but here you have to send the troops back to town. I prefer reshuffling within the army and sending back just one unit, leaving the others in place full strength Big Grin (additionally complicated with merc's or AOR-Units)
I am using the Roma Serectum Mod right now playing as Syracuse. I have built the blacksmith in several cities and I have upgraded it to armorer in most other cities.

I am not though getting any bonus to my troops that are trained there or retrained there. Is this something that has been removed in this mod? Is the blacksmith and other such items now fairly useless?

Oh and while I understand that the Onager is pretty inaccurate I find it stretching things a bit when one fires only about 20 feet straight ahead and burns a dozen of my own elite hoplites to death.
Timothy Hanna
Quote:Is this something that has been removed in this mod?
That's my impression, too, as the foundry is concerned. the blacksmith works ... the armourer i don't remember Sad
Quote:Oh and while I understand that the Onager is pretty inaccurate I find it stretching things a bit when one fires only about 20 feet straight ahead and burns a dozen of my own elite hoplites to death.
... this had been a problem in RTW already ...but at least in RS are onagers Big Grin cry: (...at least until yet :? )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Players needed Rome Total War Warrior of Italia 7 3,191 11-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Stug50
  Rome 2 Total Realism 3 released JaM 2 5,867 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Timus
  Rome: Total War II rononmaximus 250 89,144 10-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Last Post: womble67