Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making my own Helmet - thoughts, ideas, tips????
I have decided I want to make a helmet. I have a lot of metal working tools (already made a controversial Lorica that almost started a fist fight). I work at a manufacturiing facility in Detroit with about every kind of mill, lathe and CNC machine available to me. I have one of the best metal suppliers in town 1 mile from my house. Dammit, I CAN make a helmet! I will. I must.

That being said, I cant find a lot of info about making Roman helmets. There's tons of stuff if you want to make some poncy 14 century glorified watering can with eye holes.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, maybe even patterns or directions? I have seen the page on Legion XX's site (very nice), but that is about the only thing I can find. I have gone to various armoring websites and it seems to be 14-15 century action.

Is this madness? Or can I really make a ridge helmet (thats the one I am going to try, it seems easier than many others.)

Help!
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
I'd suggest trying a Coolus style helmet - as you mentioned you have Lathe equipment, perhaps you could find a way to spin a bowl, since that's how Coolus helmets were made?
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)
It might help if you have a helmet in mind otherwise it could be difficult to say how to make pic or ID would help Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Have you seen the two pictures of the helmet raising process at the Lonely Mountain Forge website:

Lonely Mountain Forge- The Greek Part

They've got a few pictures of how to make a helmet out of one piece of 18 gauge metal.
Michael Griffin
High School Teacher who knows Latin & Greek
felicior quam sus in stercu
Yup, the website mentioned, also several good books on raising a helmet. Best way is to start hammering, practice, practice a bit more,

Also seek out local blacksmith resources.. teachers etc.

SCA can be a good place to find armorers willing to teach.. or customers willing to buy! SCA has lots of armorers, varying skill levels.. heck there're 6 skilled armorers in San Diego County!

The ridge helmet is easy as pie. LEGIO VI in Los Angeles has nice gallery with detailed picks of some variations.

Raising half domes or quater domes is plenty easier than a bowl!
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Not as easy as you might think. Steel will take a lot of hot work, bronze a lot of annealing. You'll be at this quite a while developing skills, so don't get impatient. Raising, sinking, dishing, planishing: you'll get familiar with all these.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I most assuredly wont be impatient--excited--but not impatient. I am really shooting to make a ridge helmet. To me, it seems like a good one to start with as it looks less complicated than others. Although, I might start off with a Spangenhelm. Spangenhelm how to's and patterns are ALL over the internet. I guess that would be the best thing, even though I really dont like Spangenhelms. It's not like I am going to be wearing all over town or something though. OK, maybe to McDonald's (I guess we must thank the Scots for cheeseburgers and chicken nuggets?).
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Quote:already made a controversial Lorica that almost started a fist fight

As I'm making a seggy right now (extremely slow due to the fact that I'm at university most of the year), I'd be quite interested in that one Tongue
Brandon Shifflet
Yeah, I'd like to hear more about that too! :wink: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I will tell you all on Monday about the Lorica battle[/img][/list][/amazon]
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Sorry about going completely off topic and about the picture size, I am at work and dont have time to resize it. Here is my Lorica below. I worked my ass off building it for a year and wore it to an unamed event with certain unnamed legions. A fellow in charge of one of the other legions nitpicked it when I pulled it out, and convinced the Centurion in charge of my Legion that it was somehow a "danger" --as it was put to me --and I couldnt wear it if I wanted to be in their drills. This "danger" idea probably stemming from when I cut my finger the week before taking it off (not jagged metal mind you, just pinched it talking it off in an akward position). Now I will agree that it IS a little big in the torso, but I did that because my weight is always fluctuating, and I didnt want to make it so I couldnt wear at some point.

So even though I was assisted in building it via email and pictures by a certain reputable Lorica builder who makes them all the time ( again no names), and having his blessing on it, they nitpicked it as inaccurate and dangerous and I was not allowed to wear it.

I swore I would never tell this story as to not sound like a big whiny baby, but you guys asked! Have a look and see if you think it looks inaccurate or dangerous.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t140 ... igcrop.jpg
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
When I made a helmet for myself I used the same basic practice that I used for making umbras.

1: First taking a swim cap or other plastic hat able to cover all of the hair.
2: Get someone to paper mache all the areas covered by the cap making sure its at least 1/2" thick.
3: Remove hat once the paper mache has dried enough to not crumble, once removed, sand the shell to make it smooth.
4: Add whatever other major parts of the helmet you plan to hammer out, (do not include detail that is added later.)
5: Once the shell is completely dry and all parts are added out of paper mache find a log one with a big enough diameter to be able to set the shell on it and have non hanging off.
6: Then begin the manual labor, using chisels and any other wood shaping tools carve out the top of the log to resemble the shell as close as possible. (The closer the carving is the better is will fit in the end.)
7: Getting a piece of solid sheet metal whatever gage you like or can afford, placing the metal proportionally on the log, begin pounding, working from the top until the metal is tight against the log.
8: Remove metal and you will have a basic helmet shape, hammer out finishing touches, add details, and your good.

Hints: Go slowly, don't start off wailing on the log, you'll crack it and you'll have to start all over again. - When you start getting to the tighter turns and bends use a bigger hammer for the initial bend then finish it with a smaller one, so that it doesn't rip.
Go in peace, and may the light of Lugh shine on your path
Divitiacus: Priest and brehon of the Druid order
Commander of the Brayden Cael
(AKA Justin Hawley)
Cool idea! What kind of helmet did you make?
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV
Lorica looks fine to me! :? Very possibly the breast plates may (repeat may) be a smidgin too wide, but hell, I sliced my fingers on the edge of my li=orica plates putting it on......they are not ragged either...sounds like someone is a real......anyway, looks real good to me.

I see you have the drooping belt problem too! :lol:

I just made some hangers which clip over the top of the girdle plate of choice, and seems to work, as many others have done this too! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the thumbs up. I made clips for my belt too (dont know if they are visible or not in that picture).
Kevin Dopke

Marcus Lucilius Severus
Legio XXIV

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts for III Augusta Helmet (1st Century A.D.) amagee 0 830 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM
Last Post: amagee
  Tips on helmet liner or skull cap? Gaius Colletti 9 5,398 06-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Making a Roman Attic Helmet from a Corinthian helm AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs 46 11,858 08-24-2007, 09:50 PM
Last Post: AntonivsMarivsCongianocvs