Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars Theme Park...?
This news off the Rebelscum web site

Can not vouch for the truth of it, but I have no reason to doubt it.

Clearly Dubai sees their future in something other than the oil export business.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/St ... 113119.asp

Star Wars Themed Park In Dubai?
Posted by José on March 13, 2008 at 11:26 AM CST:
Euroscum reader Mattia from Italy sent us news of the first Star Wars theme park to be built in the Gulf Emirate of Dubai. Here's Mattia's account:

Dear Rebelscum,

My name is M. Mattia I’m from Italy.

I have a news that may interest you to know. I work in the Theme Park industry and I’m currently in Dubai where I just had a meeting in DUBAI LAND.

DUBAI LAND is a 107 square kilometer project that involve the construction of:

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS and other park which also for the first time in the world an entire STAR WARS PARK.

The project manager told me that George Lucas will personally follow the construction.

THIS IS GREAT

They also told me that is still a secret but the construction already started and will be over in 4 years.

Greetings

M. Mattia
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Here is the link to the Dubai Land web site

It does not mention Star Wars but they do have Dreamworks on board. Where Spielberg ventures can Lucas be far behind...?

http://www.dubailand.ae/

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Well that's stupid....sure Dubai is beautiful and has piles of cash to throw around, but what's the point in building that type of park there? They should build it somewhere in the US and invest the money into it.

Legion: TBD
Errrr, probably because of the reasons you mentioned Magnus.... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hmmmm.....I know it says it is all top secret but I have seen all of the masterplans for Dubai Land, and the scale model (quite impressive and on public display at the Dubailand sales office) and heard not a whisper of this Star Wars Park (Universal Studios yes - confirmed). If construction had started ,as claimed, there would be more than whispers for sure! See the latest Dubai publicity for Sea World on the Palm Jebl Ali, or the QE2 at the Palm Jumeirah for example. Before the ink was dry on any deal I reckon there would be a billboard several hundred feet long and wide on the Emirates road advertising this, as there is for every other attraction coming to Dubailand.

Dubai is all about building the tourist and investment profile, and that relies upon publicity and not "secret deals". Just my opinion of course, and nothing would surprise me in the least bit in the mad world of Dubai!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I was hoping you would chime in on this Sulla -- eyes on the ground are always a good thing.

I think your points are well taken -- a coup like this, the only Star Wars theme park in the world, would be an advertising bonanza. Having a Star Wars exclusive is like having a license to print money (with the possible exception of the Phantom Menace) why keep it a secret?

Perhaps this announcement was premature and this is a theme they hope to add to the park. Judging from the Dubai web site and their general approach, no doubt a Star Wars theme park would be a site to behold.

Thanks for the "on-site" info Sulla.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
No probs Narukami - happy to be the RAT desert forward patrol!

There is going to be a Dreamworks themed park though, as evidenced by the gargantuan Shrek beaming down on all the Emirates Road traffic. So you never know!

There does not seem to be any limit here yet to what is planned, so a Star Wars park cannot be written off just yet.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
If they built it I could probably never afford to go there lol.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Well, unless Natalie Portman was going to be the main attraction, I wouldn't waste my money even if I could.... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I would say that only this can happen in Las Vegas, but now :roll:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About rating 4 star 5 star SAJID 8 8,183 06-28-2018, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Next Episode of Star Wars casts a long shadow ... Simplex 4 1,671 12-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Napoleon - the theme park Alexand96 6 1,796 04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Last Post: M. Caecilius