Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WORST armour ever!
Well, no matter how tightly I do up my belt, it still droops off with the weight of the gladius and pugio, I followed a trend and made little hangers for the belt, but then changed to a belteus for my gladius. Now only have to worry about the pugio dragging it down. But the hanger plates do help.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Overall it’s a good first job. Only to be intended as constructive comments for the next one you make, but I would agree that the girdle plates seem a bit large. However, they are being shown worn over very little clothing under. You wouldn’t wear it like that for long without getting cut to shreds, so you will need some kind of subarmalis, although it’s probably best not to have anything too padded or it’ll make the armour press on the nerve & cause the dead arms mentioned. The girdle plates may still be a bit large, even with a bit more underneath, so may need adjusting.

There doesn’t seem to be much overlap at the edge – the originals had quite substantial overlap. This produces a more solid body also. If you were adjusting the length of the plates therefore, you may only need to bring the hooks in a bit and make the overlap bigger.

There also seems to be a sizable gap between the breast plates and girdle plates. This appears to be due to a couple of things. The loops on the breastplates extend below the edge of plate rather a bit more than necessary. Also, the hooks on the top girdle plate are set a little high (they should be placed at the lower part of the plate, with the top of the hook approximately level with the top of the girdle plate. These 2 things together will pull the breastplate down to overlap the girdle plate slightly, closing the gap.

You may find though that to move the hooks and the tie loops produces lots of unused holes (also that you may need to unstrap the girdle plates to get at the hooks, which would be an even bigger job), so it may be best to just make a new set and put it down to experience – you can still reuse the hooks & loops, & possibly the internal leathers – or if you’re happy to keeps the holes for authenticity, just put extra blanking rivets in them.
a couple of photos may help