Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman views of \'Barbarians\'
There just might be some interesting insights on this subject on Guy Halsall`s "Barbarian Migrations an the Roman West 376-568". It is a great and a refreshing book indeed!

Halsall claims that the "barbarian fashions" spread first and foremost to the army and from there to other levels of society. The military structure of the west just collapsed and the barbarian contingents / allies of the roman army simply replaced it. It is perhaps a crude oversimplification to say that it left the "barbarians" in control of the army and the "romans" as administrators and tax-payers. Halsall also says that the barbarian identity become so fashionable that even some romans adopted germanic names, which is completely new to me! The same kind of process is perhaps working behind the changes in fashion too?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:There just might be some interesting insights on this subject on Guy Halsall`s "Barbarian Migrations an the Roman West 376-568". It is a great and a refreshing book indeed!

Halsall claims that the "barbarian fashions" spread first and foremost to the army and from there to other levels of society. The military structure of the west just collapsed and the barbarian contingents / allies of the roman army simply replaced it. It is perhaps a crude oversimplification to say that it left the "barbarians" in control of the army and the "romans" as administrators and tax-payers. Halsall also says that the barbarian identity become so fashionable that even some romans adopted germanic names, which is completely new to me! The same kind of process is perhaps working behind the changes in fashion too?

Does Halsall give examples/references for his claims about Romans adopting Germanic names? What annoys me is that writers often make these claims and then give no evidence for it: which leaves you wondering whether it is something they want to see, not reality.

My cynicism is coming out again!!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Ian, you`re right :wink: !

Here is a quote from Halsall`s book (page 469):

By the end of the sixth century, the aristocracy across much of the former western Empire had adopted Germanic personal names. One of the best known instances of this is the Gundulf whom we encountered at the very beginning of this book, whom Gregory of Tours claimed was his maternal great uncle. He was a member of a proud senatorial house and apparently and a brother of the powerful, if unpopular, metropolitan bishop Nicetius of Lyon. Yet whereas his brother had entered the church, Gundul had taken secular service with the kings of Aurasia, serving as domesticus (a Palatine official) before becoming a duke. Gundulf was almost certainly the name he adopted on entering the royal service. The names chosen by the military aristocracy reflected the fact that the new holders of political power had come ultimately from beyond the Rhine-Danube frontiers. A number of other individuals, male and female, are known to have had two names, one Germanic and one Roman. Gregory of Tours refers to an Avius `who was also Vedast`. A number of such names have been recorded from Ostrogothic Italy........Barbarians, like Theoderic, who wished to claim Roman pedigree, took the name Flavius, associated with the Constantinian dynasty. It should not be remarkable that people wishing to move into areas dominated by the barbarians should add a non-Roman name.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Ian, you`re right :wink: !

Here is a quote from Halsall`s book (page 469):

By the end of the sixth century, the aristocracy across much of the former western Empire had adopted Germanic personal names. One of the best known instances of this is the Gundulf whom we encountered at the very beginning of this book, whom Gregory of Tours claimed was his maternal great uncle. He was a member of a proud senatorial house and apparently and a brother of the powerful, if unpopular, metropolitan bishop Nicetius of Lyon. Yet whereas his brother had entered the church, Gundul had taken secular service with the kings of Aurasia, serving as domesticus (a Palatine official) before becoming a duke. Gundulf was almost certainly the name he adopted on entering the royal service. The names chosen by the military aristocracy reflected the fact that the new holders of political power had come ultimately from beyond the Rhine-Danube frontiers. A number of other individuals, male and female, are known to have had two names, one Germanic and one Roman. Gregory of Tours refers to an Avius `who was also Vedast`. A number of such names have been recorded from Ostrogothic Italy........Barbarians, like Theoderic, who wished to claim Roman pedigree, took the name Flavius, associated with the Constantinian dynasty. It should not be remarkable that people wishing to move into areas dominated by the barbarians should add a non-Roman name.

Good grief!! He's given examples!!!!

I think I'll just go and have a lie down ....! :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Ian, you can stand up now :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
What about the theory that pants caused the fall of Rome?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
:?:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Pants fall.
Romans started wearing pants.
Rome fell.

It's just a theory.

Quote::?:
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Barbarians.....unwashed hairy, smelly,....uncivilized, wild animals, primative creatures......uneducated, not really human....etc etc :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Skunks smell.
Nostrils smell.
Nostrils are skunks. :lol: :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Feet run.
Noses run.
Feet smell.
Noses smell.
Noses are feet.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
If any part of your body is 12 inches long then it's a foot :wink:
Memmia AKA Joanne Wenlock.
Friends of Letocetum
Sigh :roll: ...

This is the very last book review I make on RAT...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Don't be discouraged, Virilis, jocularity is the soul of humor. :lol: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Don't be discouraged, Virilis, jocularity is the soul of humor. :lol: :lol:

Jocularity Confusedhock: ? Is it something you can eat!?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX