Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamata
Greetings All,<br>
I'm a SCAdian living in MN. I've been working on a suit of Hamata for quite a while now. I've run across a bit of a snag. I've just about finished the the main shirt, but what shape is the arm whole? Is it round or just round on the top?<br>
<br>
<br>
Quintus Flavius Lupus <p></p><i></i>
First have to describe which period your armour is attempting to represent. Does your hamata resemble the Greek linothorax with the reinforcing shoulder segments (republic/early empire) or does your hamata have short, integrated sleeves (late empire)? <p></p><i></i>
Daniel,<br>
If we can trust the relief at the Chiaramonti Museum, some mail shirts were long sleeved in the late empire...<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Whoah daniel...making things a bit over-complicated?<br>
<br>
Typical mid-1st century hamatas had tiny or no sleeves. Yet I fail to see how the shoulder doubling would influence the arm hole shape. This I believe is more a matter of construction than one of classification.<br>
<br>
faelan, I belive they are rounded, but then that may simply be the manner in which the mail is conforming to the shoulder. I'll ask my centurion to post on this thread, he's made a few hamata in his day and will be able to help. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Faelan<br>
There are two basic styles of Hamata used in the SCA.<br>
One which used the 45 degree sleeve, and the other which follows the T-tunic method. I have a manual of sorts for the T-tunic method that I can e-mail you. Just let me know.<br>
If you have any other questions regarding the making of chainmaille, you might want to check out this forum.<br>
<br>
www.chainmailstore.com/cg...matebb.cgi<br>
<br>
There are over a thousand members from all over the world, including people who have worked on major movies.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
^ ^<br>
There he is! <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Thanks All.<br>
The period I'm going for is being one of Hadrian's troops up on the Wall. I know that we in the SCA sometimes take liberties with "periodness" (thankfully not as much as some Rennies) but with my Roman persona I'm trying to be more "period" than my Scottish Persona (roughly 158.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
There's the famous statue (it's in several of the books that I have, but I cannot currently think of the name) showing an auxilary wearing hamata with short sleeves. For 1st to 2nd century, what is preferrable, short sleeves or sleeveless? <p></p><i></i>