Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Real General Maximus
The screenwriter of the movie Gladiator based his character off Lusius Quietus probably without even knowing. The similarities are evident but in different time periods.

Lusius Quietus was Trajan's favorite general.
Fictional Maximus was Marcus' favorite general.
Both veterans of war.
Both cavalry commanders.

Lusius Quietus was Trajan's original successor.
Maximus was fictionally Marcus' original successor.
Both got screwed over by, Hadrian in Lusius' case and Commodus in Maximus' case.

Lusius Quietus was executed by praetorian prefect Publius Attianus.
Maximus was going to be executed by praetorian prefect Quintus.

If they used Quietus' story of course he would have escaped the execution and ran away, captured by slave traders, sold into slavery, bought by a lanista, etc, etc.

Just thought it was interesting, would have preferred a historical character as the basis for the story. Lusius Quietus was black too, which would have been a neat twist.

Thought you guys might like it!
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
Funny.

I thought Maximus was based on Gaius Metellus Livius :wink:

Seriously, that is interesting and probably served as a basis for the fictitious character from 'Fall of the Roman Empire' (which makes Maximus a copy of a copy) :lol:

Quote:Lusius Quietus was black too, which would have been a neat twist.

Ehh....I'm highly dubious about the first part. Some people fallaciously equate 'African' or 'Moor' with being black, sometimes intentionally by Afro-centrists. They like to 'claim' Africans like Hannibal, Cleopatra, Septimius Severus, and Saint Augustine :?

But for a movie, why not ? It's mostly fiction anyway.

Quote:Just thought it was interesting, would have preferred a historical character as the basis for the story.
It was, thanks for posting it, Lucius Smile

~Theo
Jaime