Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dacian Wars: Strength of Trajan\'s Army
After analyzing each legion present during the time 100 AD - 107 AD on Wikipedia, I found 13 legions that mention in their history they fought in the Dacian Wars.

Wikipedia puts the Roman Army's strength at 150,000 - 200,000. Thats 30+ legions. Here they also say the muster was 30 legions: http://www.roman-emperors.org/trajan.htm

What's the deal? How many soldiers and how many legions? Or legions that fought at least.
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
I tried to compile a list a little while ago on this same issue, didn't come up with 13 legions though. Had 8 confirmed along with a few vexillations. I used Livius.org as my reference. Though I must admit, that was not exhaustive.

Either way I wouldn't trust Wiki. :wink:

Legion: TBD
Well, from what i read in a military history book from here, roman army who atack Dacia was around 150,000, here beeing counted both legionares and auxiliar troops, who was very numerous ( i read somwhere else that auxiliary troops was equals in number with legions, in some history periods ). They count as well the entire roman army as 400,000 strong.
Razvan A.
Because very little literary evidence survives of Trajan's campaigns, ( though frustratingly he wrote an account -'The Dacica' similar to Caesar's 'Gallic Wars' which has not survived) we don't know exactly how strong his invasion army was in either war, but from inscriptions, grave stealae, known dispositions of legions etc it is possible to make a deduction/educated guess.
The german scholar Karl Strobel( 'Untersuchingen zu den Dakerkriegen Trajans', Bonn, 1984) thus demonstrated that 14 Legions were involved in movements and transfers in the Danube at this time ( though because of the length of the frontier and the need to retain some troops as garrisons not all would have been involved in the Dacian fighting)
Two Legions, IIII Flavia Felix and XIII Gemina formed the garrison after the wars, and were therefore certainly a part of the invasion force, along with a possible third, I Adiutrix. Legio II Adiutrix and I Minervia ( commanded by the future Emperor Hadrian) also moved to take part. VII Claudia, the garrison of Viminacium, from which the expedition set off, must also have taken part, and almost certainly the other Pannonian Legions, probably vexillations from XIIII Gemina and XV Appollinaris. For the second war, vexillations from XXX Ulpia and X Gemina ( who do not appear to have arrived in Pannonia in time for the first war) can be added.
In addition to these six Legions and 2,000 vexillarii aprox from Pannonia, there is evidence for a vexillation of I Italica (in the first war), and almost certainly that means a vexillation from the other lower Moesian Legion, V Macedonica, as well.
From Syria, vexillations of IIII Scythica, XII Fulminata and an un-named Legion are known to have served in the first war under C.Julius Quadratus Bassus.

The total number of Legionaries involved was therefore in the vicinity of 35,000-37,000 (plus several cohorts of Praetorian Guard) giving atotal of something under 40,000.

As for Auxiliaries, it was normal at this period for Legionary forces to have been accompanied by an equivalent number of Auxiliaries.
Once again, Strobel traced evidence of Unit movements, and for Cavalry listed 5 Milliary Alae and a sixth which probably sent only a vexillation, 16 quingenary Alae ( 3 of which were sagitarii- archers, vexillations of 2 more and another vexillation ( of AlaI Thracum veterana sagittorium) which probably only took part in the second war. This gives us something like 13,500 cavalry.
For Infantry, Strobel lists 78 Cohorts, some 9 of which seem not to have crossed the border, and were thus reserves or used to secure supply routes.The remaining 69 ( 4 of which probably only took part in the second war) The balance of 65 consisted of 12 Milliary cohorts and 51 quingenary ones, together with 2 more probaly consisting only of vexillations. 9 Milliary and 24 quingenary cohorts were Equitatae (mostly Infantry, but part mounted) and 7 quingenary cohorts were sagittarii (archers).
This gives a total of aprox 37-38,000 cohortales, plus the cavalry, making a grand total of around 51-52,000 auxiliaries.
There were also an unknown number of Barbarian Allies, including German tribesmen such as Asturum tribesmen under Prefect C. Sulpicius Ursulus and probably Aestii as well(symmachiarii).
The Sarmatian Iazyges tribe were also allied to Rome.
This gives us a potential maximum invasion force of less than 95,000, but it must be noted that the Danube continued to need guarding, not to mention internal supply line etc. The actual force that crossed the Danube will have been considerably smaller, around 75-80,000 max at a guess.
This gargantuan effort by the Empire was not achieved without sacrifice - for example around 103-105 A.D., the whole of Southern Scotland was evacuated, including at least one legionary fortress (Inchtuthil) and at least 18 auxiliary forts ( effectively a whole province).
Diegis wrote:-
Quote:Well, from what i read in a military history book from here, roman army who atack Dacia was around 150,000,
....this is certainly an exaggeration. Unfortunately, Romanian sources of history should be treated with great caution, as they are often contaminated by bias and outright propaganda under the communist Ceaucescu regime, seeking to 'glorify' Romanian history.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:

Diegis wrote:-
Quote:Well, from what i read in a military history book from here, roman army who atack Dacia was around 150,000,
....this is certainly an exaggeration. Unfortunately, Romanian sources of history should be treated with great caution, as they are often contaminated by bias and outright propaganda under the communist Ceaucescu regime, seeking to 'glorify' Romanian history.
Well, i dont know wich is your qualification, and how much you study the history of that wars ( i saw you dont know, however, all the details ), but here, since was a very important part of our national history, was heavy studied. And, i tend to believe that historians who said what i am said, and not you. And, btw, now, is two decades since comunism was gone, so your obsession with romanian history contaminated by Ceausescu apear quite odd. And, believe me, all nations glorify their history, is a fact all over the world. And i told you in another post what was the "comunist view" about dacians, the way of glory who was trying to be gived to them. Their military capacities can be traced from ancient writings or monuments, as well from archeology, and the fact they was stronger then celts or germans, at that moment, is a fact, not a comunist invention :roll: . Hmm, sometime i even suspect you that you have something against dacians Tongue
Razvan A.
Did some mention Dacians.... Confusedhock: Where's my armour? And manica?
Greaves....where did I put my greaves??? Damn what did i do with my hel.....whew, its on my head......!!!! Tongue
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:... it was normal at this period for Legionary forces to have been accompanied by an equivalent number of Auxiliaries.
Hmmm, I think I detect a factoid. I doubt if there was any such policy.

(btw We did the legions last year!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Paullus Scipio:fa4nyeoq Wrote:Diegis wrote:-
Well, i dont know wich is your qualification, and how much you study the history of that wars ( i saw you dont know, however, all the details ), but here, since was a very important part of our national history, was heavy studied. And, i tend to believe that historians who said what i am said, and not you. And, btw, now, is two decades since comunism was gone, so your obsession with romanian history contaminated by Ceausescu apear quite odd. And, believe me, all nations glorify their history, is a fact all over the world. And i told you in another post what was the "comunist view" about dacians, the way of glory who was trying to be gived to them. Their military capacities can be traced from ancient writings or monuments, as well from archeology, and the fact they was stronger then celts or germans, at that moment, is a fact, not a comunist invention :roll: . Hmm, sometime i even suspect you that you have something against dacians Tongue

I'd go with Paul's numbers. I'd even suggest they are really the absolute maximum. The numbers were probably much lower as I'd suspect that most legions did not participate with all their soldiers. The local ones yes, but the ones from the East or the Rhine surely left strong garrisons at their home bases.
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
D.B. Campbell wrote:-
Quote:(btw We did the legions last year!)
...thanks for the link, Duncan, though here the discussion emphasis is on numbers rather than units taking part ( incidental here) - but the two threads do dovetail neatly ! Big Grin
Quote:Hmmm, I think I detect a factoid. I doubt if there was any such policy.
....what do you mean by "factoid"? ...and I never said it was 'policy' ! ...Merely a general observation that major expeditionary forces of Legions tended to be accompanied by an equivalent/similar force of auxiliaries/Allies, in the 1-2 C A.D.

Here are some brief examples:-

Germanicus Expeditionary forces;
1. Across the Rhine, A.d. 14; Legio 12,000, Aux 13-16,000, Ala 4-5,000
2.Campaign against the Chatti 15 A.D. ; Legio 12-16,000 Aux 10-15,000(inc Chauci allies) Ala 5-8,000
3. Campaign against Cherusci 16 A.D. ; Legio 25-30,000 Aux 30,000 aprox, Ala 5-6,000, Allies 5,000 aprox

The campaign in Nth Africa against Tacfarinas 17 A.D. ; Legio 4-5,000 Aux 3-5,000 Ala 1,000

Corbulo's second campaign against Parthia 58 A.D.; Legio 11-12,000 Aux 10-12,000 ( uncertain) Ala 3-5,000 ( inc allied Lt cav of Herod Agrippa)

Seutonius' campaign in Britain against Boudicca 60 A.D.; Legio 3-4,000 Aux 2-3,000 Ala 500-1,000 - later joined by Legio 10,000 Aux 5-8,000 Ala 1-2,000 Ala

Corbulo's third campaign in Parthia 59-63 A.D. Legio 10-12,000 Aux 10-15,000 ( uncertain) Ala - unknown

Cestus campaign in Judaea 66 A.D.; Legio 9,000 Aux 5,000 Ala 2,000 Allies 4,700 lt cav, 7,5000 Lt Inf archers 1,000 Lt Inf

Vespasian's campaign in Judaea 68-70 A.D.; Legio 20,000 Aux 13-15,000 Ala 3,000 ( plus equitata 1,500) Allies 4,000 cav, 8,000 archers, 3,000 Lt Inf

Revolt of Batavians 69 A.D.; Lupercus force, Legio 2-3,000
(mainly veterans) Aux 1-2,000
(others are in revolt !! ) Ala 1,000-1,500

Gallus' force, Legio 3,000 Aux 1,000-1,500
plus levy of 1,000 aprox

Vocula's force, Legio 8-10,000 Aux 5- 8,000 plus 1,500-2,000 Basque auxilia,
Ala unknown, possibly 1,000

Cerialis' force ( at battle of Trier),
Legio 8-10,000 Aux 4-7,000 Ala 1,500-2,500

Cerialis' force ( at battle of Vetera)
Legio 15-20,000 Aux 15-20,000
Ala 3-4,5000

Agricola's campaign in Scotland 84 A.D. ; Legio 8-10,000 Aux 10,000 Ala 4-5,000( Britain tended to have a high proportion of cav).........

Now, I realise I have given many 'hostages to fortune' here, and that any of these figures can be 'nit-picked', and a whole thread devoted to each, so I will provide the usual caveats - numbers are approximate, fluctuated from day to day on campaign etc etc - no further correspondence entered into, especially as it is O.T !! Smile wink: Smile D P P P

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:that any of these figures can be 'nit-picked', and a whole thread devoted to each
That might be a bit much, but regardless of whether it's a simple observation or Roman policy, it's certainly not an unheard of statement. Paul finds himself in good company in saying that campaign armies of the early Empire contained a roughly even proportion of legionaries and auxiliaries. However, with Tacitus often very vague on numbers ('some units of...', 'part of the auxiliaries of...', etc), one has to wonder how much of such calculations rests on that one sentence of the Annals, in IV.5 (Penguin tr.): "Altogether these (provincial fleets, alae and cohorts) were about as numerous as the regular army." In short: by all means, start a new thread. Big Grin
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper wrote:-
Quote:one has to wonder how much of such calculations rests on that one sentence of the Annals, in IV.5 (Penguin tr.): "Altogether these (provincial fleets, alae and cohorts) were about as numerous as the regular army."
......luckily I can answer Jasper's question - none, in this instance! ....These particular calculations are my own....

Jasper is right that Tacitus is sometimes vague in numbers, so my figures vary in accuracy, from actual numbers given by Tacitus, to estimates from, for example, "...accompanied by 10 cohortes of Auxilia..." - here Tacitus does not tell us numbers, or whether the cohortes are quingenary or milliary, or equitatae whose numbers varied markedly, or how many of each type were present, or whether they were up to strength or not - which is why I emphasised "approximate".... Smile D

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Well, if the quantum engineers would pull the proverbial finger out and finish that time machine, we wouldn't have to guess or estimate these things anymore 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Helmet Types for then Dacian Wars? Darrell Hindley 2 207 02-07-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Arius
  Legions in Trajan\'s Dacian Campaign AureliusFalco 5 3,193 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Last Post: AureliusFalco
  Legions of Trajans Dacian wars marcus ulpius quadratus 17 12,026 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross