Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phalerae for a vexillarius or signifer?
Salvete,

What ranks could receive phalerae as a decoration. Could a signifer or a vexillarius wear phalerae?

I've seen depictions of the centurio and the aquilifer with phalerae, but I'm not sure what other ranks could wear them.

Valete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm sure that all soldiers could receive them, but I think they were only worn on parade. As for battles, centurions wore them on their chests.
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
Quote:I'm sure that all soldiers could receive them, but I think they were only worn on parade. As for battles, centurions wore them on their chests.

Salve Falconius,

Thanks for your answer.

What is your source that states phalerae were only worn on parades by the other ranks?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Okay, my reference is Adrian Goldsworthy's The Complete Roman Army.

Centurions and aquilifiers were known to where decorations in battle. A tombstone shows a legionary holding the eagle (Aquilifier) covered in decorations (2 torcs and 9 phalarae).

The other legionaries would wear theirs on parades, pay parades, etc, etc.
Nicholas De Oppresso Liber

[i]“It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.â€
I wonder on what evidence Goldsworthy's statements are based.

If it's true and backed with primary evidence, that's nice as some silver phalerae would make a nice contrast with the dark iron colour of my hamata Smile

Anyone else knows of some primary evidence?

Salvete,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I'm not aware of any evidence that suggests only centurions and aquilifers could wear decorations, whether phalerae or anything else, in battle. I've recently argued that because of the militaristic nature of Roman society and the monetary value of many of these awards, all Roman soldiers were likely to have worn their decorations in battle, (“Display in Roman Warfare: The appearance of armies and individuals on the battlefieldâ€
Display in Roman Warfare: The appearance of armies and individuals on the battlefieldâ€
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Caballo - PB\\n[quote]Display in Roman Warfare: The appearance of armies and individuals on the battlefieldâ€
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I'm sure that all soldiers could receive them

Not non-citizen auxiliaries AFAIK. It seems that they tended to get 'en block' awards for the entire cohort that were suffixed in the units titles. (Torquata/Pia Fidelis/civium Romanorum etc.) No phalerae Sad

I would like to hear any evidence to the contrary as I would quite like a set myself!
The current 'school of thought' in academic circles is that individual auxiliaries didn't receive the same kinds of bravery decorations as the legionaries, as Adrian says. The principal proponent of this argument is D.B.Saddington. I would like to argue to the contrary, partly for the heck of it ( :lol: ) and partly because I don't see there being such a significant difference in status of legionaries / auxiliaries, particularly as the empire developed. But there's not a huge amount of evidence either way.