Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Under tunic
I apologize for having to ask this question since it may have been discussed before, but is there evidence for an undertunic.

I have always wondered if they wore something other than just the tunic.

When I wear my wool tunic it can be itchy and unconfortable at times since I wear it directly on me without undergarments.

I would think that the romans probably did not care if the wool was itchy or annoying. Then again maybe they did.

If so:

What material would it be made of ?

What shape would it have?

Would it be at all visible?

I would appreciate if someone has any information on this topic including any RAT topic on this issue.

Thanks
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Augustus used to wear several tunics at once against the cold so there is no reason why you could not put a linen one under the wool tunic. My preference is for a tunic with a bit of shoulder padding to raise the armour.
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
There is evidence for the romans wearing several tunics over each other. I think there is enough proof to say undertunics existed. If your skin is sensitive to wool, use linen for the undertunic.

I think the skin of a Roman would have been much more resistant to wool. Wool allergy might be a modern thing, but I don't know for sure. I can wear very coarse wool on my skin without discomfort...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Hi

Quote:I apologize for having to ask this question since it may have been discussed before, but is there evidence for an undertunic.

Yes!

Quote:I have always wondered if they wore something other than just the tunic.

When I wear my wool tunic it can be itchy and unconfortable at times since I wear it directly on me without undergarments.

I would think that the romans probably did not care if the wool was itchy or annoying. Then again maybe they did.

If so:
Quote:What material would it be made of ?

Most likely a finer, softer quality wool or linen.

Quote:What shape would it have?

Again most likely the same shape as the regular tunic.

Quote:Would it be at all visible?

The Chatsworth relief appears to show an undertunic below the lower edge of the outer tunic.

As pointed out you could wear a number of tunics and there are even mentions of undercloaks and overcloaks in the Vindolanda writing tablets so no need to get itchy or cold!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
My favorite tunic is wool, and is no real problem either.
But I have new linen tunics which I plan on trying some time, one as an under tunic, the other as the outer.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel