Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need advice about overnight camp, please...
Magnus,
Some of the dimensions had purpose, like the space between the ditch and the inner camp, that one was a little over expected javelin range, according to Polybius, so that intervallum space would be fairly fixed. Large camp or small, a javelin can only go so far. What that means is, the smaller the detachment of men, the greater proportionally they had to ditch.

I can't remember where I read it right now, maybe De Bello Gallico, but the ditch was said to be about six feet deep, six feet wide, and the berm inside about six more feet high. So that makes a 12 ft earth wall to clamber up on the inside. Could be rough going if there's many people on the inside intending to prevent your entry. If the angle of the dirt is reasonably expected not to erode, then the distance from the edge of the ditch to the top of the berm is too far to expect to place a scaling ladder, so it really does provide a fairly good barrier to foot soldier, and impossible for horse. Add a foot or two of rainwater and mud in the bottom, and that's that.

Quote:Thanks for the compliments, guys (I was a little worried that I'd get hammered for asking stupid questions).
Heck, if that happened every time, I'd be long ago flattened into the ground. :lol:

Do you want to make your scutum boss, or get one elsewhere? For kids that young, making one would be a formidable task, but buying a commercially produced one will likely cost you forty or fifty dollars with freight. Where are you located? Maybe some reenactor nearby can help you out. If that fails, PM me and I'll see what I can scratch up for you, in exchange for some pictures of your groma, perhaps.

Once in a while, there are metal bowls at the second hand stores that can be modified. Otherwise, I could give you a tutorial on making them or something. Problem is, a scutum is curved, and the curve of the backplate/flange has to match fairly well, if you expect the thing to work at all. You can't easily start with a "bowl" and a flat flange and expect to curve the flange. A clipeus would be a much easier first project, imho.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Add a foot or two of rainwater and mud in the bottom, and that's that.
And stakes and caltrops :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:lol, thanks guys! Do we have any information on the depth and width of ditch and ramparts on fortifications of this size?
Magnus, if you PM me your email, I can send you a translation of Pseudo-Hyginus' treatise on building a marching camp which includes recommended ditch dimensions.
Any chance of a copy of that too Kate?Please?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Mac, I seriously wish I had a teacher like you when I was growing up!
I think your kids will really enjoy this! Wish I could advise you on the project, but I know only about 1% of what these guys do, lol. :oops:

The best of luck to ya!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Quote: , but I know only about 1% of what these guys do, lol. :oops:

The best of luck to ya!

Ahhhh, Yoda, Teach me master.... :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
...and me too, please, Kate ! Years ago I had a copy translation, but lent it to someone....never to be seen again ( in pre-computer days!).

In return, I promise to support Wales in their efforts to win the six nations, as well as Italy! .......(Wales have Ozzie links too :wink: )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Paul, since your support obviously helped Wales on saturday, you can certainly have a copy! I may have your email address already, but it'd probably be easier if you PMd it to me again as it'd probably take me an age to find.
Salve Mac!

Drop me a PM with a proper e-mail adress and I can send you some building plans for a Medieval rockslinger. Be carefull with this type of weapon, though, they kinda tend to work rather well. I can also mail you a reconstruction drawing of a small century fort found in Holland, but that was a more permanent structure to a marching camp. The English ones should give you some good reference for that, though. I would suggest you also visit the Legio XX site, as there are tons of How-to there on equipment. You can make a shieldboss from sheet brass, as this allows you to pound out the bowl in a dished tree stump or the like.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Magnus wrote:-
Quote:Do we have any information on the depth and width of ditch and ramparts on fortifications of this size?
.......to add to David's comments, the four sides of a 'typical' consular army camp were each dug by one legion/Allied force, thus some 4-5000 were available to dig a ditch aprox 700 metres long.
Normally, the turves were first cut and piled, then a ditch(fossa) 1 metre deep aprox was dug, with the spoil heaped on the inside to form a rampart (agger).The spoil was tamped down and flattened on the top and the outside faced with the turves. Each soldier carried two stakes which were emplaced on the top to form a palisade - giving a density of roughly a dozen stakes per metre. These were tied together.

In the face of the enemy, the digging was much tougher! The velites, cavalry and half the Infantry formed a battle-line and the other half of the Heavy Infantry (2-2,500 men) got on with digging a ditch 3 metres deep and 4 metres wide, and rampart correspondingly larger, 1.5 m high aprox.............. Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff