Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Garlic Eaters
Recently I stumbled upon an unsupported article that was pushing the health benefits of garlic. I don't doubt garlic has a lot of health benefits, but one of the points they were pushing on eating raw garlic was that the Roman soldiers ate raw garlic before every battle and rubbed the oils on their skin. Of course like most health articles it never cited any documentation or sources for this. While I know that the Romans ate a lot of garlic, I'm curious to any evidence of this specific behavior. Plug your nose and stay downwind.
Derek D. Estabrook
I can't eat garlic but then I also can't go out in daylight either.

(Don't moan, somebody had to say it)

Have never come across the garlic thing. What a stench they would have created if it's true Confusedhock:
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
I consider garlic one of the greatest gifts on earth, but not even I would eat it raw!

If the Romans did indeed do this, I have a newfound respect for them! :lol:
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
If you see traditional recipies for lamb and goat you will notice that use a lot of garlic. It "tames" these meats natural smell and probably ancients had a better understanding of combating cholesterol than we credit them for.
Garlic helps digestion. Garlic had a modest "disisnfectant quality". A combination of Helleborus and garlics was used in an attempt to stop infection from woulds after battle. Gralic was easier to take from thae mouth than the rather dangerous Helleborous. A medic magazine while waiting in the dentist que is the source of this info.

Also garlic can be eaten in salad with a dressing oilve oil and vinegar.

Spearmint after food neutralizes other side effects.

Kind regards
Raw garlic is not so bad....a little hot maybe! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I try to eat garlic everyday, not because I love it, but I do not trust vampires! Now, only if there was a defense against zombies other than my trusty 12 gauge!!!!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Get a garlic clove, cut it in halves, and rub it over a hot toast. Vigorously. Top with olive oil (without fear) and eat it. Mmmmm....!!!! One of the best meals in the world....!!!
It's better to use real bread toasts, not the ones made with this strange squared thing you anglosaxons call bread. :twisted:

Jorge Mambrilla
Jorge Mambrilla
Quote:I try to eat garlic everyday, not because I love it, but I do not trust vampires! Now, only if there was a defense against zombies other than my trusty 12 gauge!!!!

Blimey Confusedhock: Are you at least free from werewolves?
Kat x

:lol:

Personally I love the garlic -- it's healthy and makes all your cooking taste good! It's very rare when i eat it raw though, only sparingly in salad or salsa.

Here's an easy way to eat it: next time you cook a roast, just add garlic cloves to the roasting veggies. It gives them more flavour!
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
This story of the Roman Legionnaires using garlic as edible courage is all over the Internet, on numerous web sites, but without any citation of the ancient source or sources for this claim.

Most of these sites have been lifting entire passages verbatim from each other as if the volume alone will establish authenticity.

One site dealing with bio-warfare has the following passage:

Dioscorides, the chief medical officer in the Roman army during the 1st century AD, treated infected soldiers with garlic. Knowing of its prophylactic properties, Roman legions ate garlic prior to combat. But why aren't modern armies following the way of the Romans? The answer is simple, troops would have to carry garlic cloves with them and endure the pungency of garlic in their stomach and odor on their breath. Seems like a small price to pay for a life-saving technology. The Roman army knew better. (from "How To Win The War" by Bill Sardi)

In fact several sites make reference to Dioscorides but all of them without listing their source.

There is an interesting article by RW Davies "The Roman Military Diet" that makes the case for the consumption of meat and beer by legionnaires, but makes no mention of garlic as the herb of courage.

The Roman Military Diet
R. W. Davies
Britannia, Vol. 2, 1971 (1971), pp. 122-142
doi:10.2307/525803
This article consists of 21 page(s).

(Well, perhaps the article does, I have not been able to find the complete article to read. It is available through JSTOR if any of our members have access perhaps they could check the article and see what is might have to say on this topic.)

That the legionnaires used garlic seems pretty obvious. That they eat it prior to battle with the specific intent of giving them courage, or stamina, or protection from infected wounds...has not yet been confirmed by ancient sources. It does seem reasonable but that alone is not proof.

The Japanese used to call the Westerners visiting feudal Japan "Garlic Eaters." (As well as a few other choice names.) Now if we could only find some ancient source where they used such an epitaph for Roman Legionnaires... :?

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Blimey Confusedhock: Are you at least free from werewolves?

PFFFTTTT! Who believes in werewolves? Silly girl! :wink:

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:
Libitina:soi9thl8 Wrote:Blimey Confusedhock: Are you at least free from werewolves?

PFFFTTTT! Who believes in werewolves? Silly girl! :wink:

I saw a documentary last year. Was called Dog Soldiers, here's proof:-

[Image: dog-soldiers.jpg]

Big Grin
Kat x

Is that proof that werewolves exist?

Or...

Proof that such a film exists?

Or...

That you actually saw said film?

And if that is the case -- did you like it?

:roll: :? wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Dog Soldiers is my fav Werewolf movie!!!!!!!!!

a.k.a. Paul M.
It is pretty good to be sure.....Were wooooooooooolllfs, cough, cough,
aren't real......honestly[size=75:fakozarj].....(pauses to scratch behind his ear with hind paws)[/size]
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel