Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montefortino edging
I'm converting a spun bowl into a Montefortino for my metalsmithing class, and in getting to the edging, could not tell if the roping/edging was hammered in or soldered on. It looks hammered, but from what I can see from the U Penn helmet the edging back is solid rather than U shaped, which is puzzling. Any one know how that was done?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Cast?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
If you go to the main site's Helmet Database and read through the remarks on the Montefortinos, you'll find things like:
Quote:The bottom edges of the helmet bowl are thickened and decorated with inscribed lines and punched patterns.

http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/index.php
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The rope-edge on the Montefortino in the Penn Museum was cast; you can't see it in the case, but there's a fingerprint preserved from the wax-stage. The entire helmet may have been cast and then hammered.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks Dan!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:rope-edge on the Montefortino in the Penn Museum was cast;

Ah, that makes sense. I thought it looked solid. Interestingly, that would make shaping the helmet so much easier and faster as opposed to raising or dishing it.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
As long as others don't walk away from the thread thinking all were cast, and don't bother to do their own research :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
No, Jim some are raised too, but there are some that are cast, which would explain the thicker edging, although the hammered ones can have very thin bowls as a result of the process.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I know, which is why I suggested people actually go and read something about them.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Not everyone has the time I guess.....I should be working right now.... :oops: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel