Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pelts with teeth?
Hello,

Did the pelts worn by cornicens and signifers include the upper jaw and teeth? If yes, do you know of a link to a picture of something (coin, gravestone, monument, etc) showing this.

Thanks,

Jim Miller
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
This one seems to have teeth.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Great! That's just what I was looking for.

Thanks.
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Either that lion was a herbivore, or they're part of the helmet decoration, IMHO.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'm presuming the square bits are helmet decoration and the only tooth visible is the canine tooth.
Legio VI VPF

Quote:I'm presuming the square bits are helmet decoration and the only tooth visible is the canine tooth.
Quite right, I missed that canine.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
on the subject of headdresses, pelts, and the like is there a known method for attaching it to a galae? i mean ofcourse a detailed uniform method or one that is better than another...anyone? also did all signifers cornicens, vexilliaries and the like wear hamata or were segmentata acceptable as well. i mean what happend when the guy died and the soldier now filling his role is a different build and the hamata doesnt fit? just a thought. and also wouldnt seg offer more protection to a soldier with no shield or a smaller one at least?
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The wearing of animal pelts FlorivsVirilis 4 2,894 01-26-2011, 03:35 AM
Last Post: FlorivsVirilis
  rear legs on pelts? LCorneliusScaeva 13 3,421 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM
Last Post: LCorneliusScaeva