Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Published Research Request: History of Rivets
Hello everyone,

I initially contacted Jasper regarding this request and he urged me to post on the forum as their are some armour experts to frequent this website. I'm currently researching self-pierce riveting technology and as part of this I need to give a history of rivets/riveting in general. If anyone has information regarding the origin or history of rivets please contact me or drop me a web link to anything you may find useful.

This work will be published with an ISBN, and any information i use will be referenced. So if you provide me with useful information, your name will be included in this publication.

Many thanks. Smile
Have you tried google scholar already searching for terms such as “nails, rivets, iron, copper, archaeology, originâ€
Hi martijn.wijnhoven and thanks for the response.

I'm interested in any citation of the word "rivet". The earliest citation I have at the moment is approx 2000 BC (EBA) and relates to daggars were the hilt was riveted to the base of the blade using two/three rivets. As you say their were wooden rivets but they decay. A dated citation to a wooden rivet would be extremely useful for me, but realistically I'm happy with any metallic rivet citations.

The history of rivets will form a large part of the introduction into my research of self-pierce rivieting technology.
GoogleBooks: Craft Specialization and Social Evolution: In Memory of V. Gordon Childe
By Vere Gordon Childe, Bernard Wailes

Quote:... of Late Copper Age eastern Europe ... All Usatovo daggers were riveted; in one case, bone rivets, and in another, a wooden rivet were preserved.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!