Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Britain was German in pre-Roman times ?
My My, What a kafuffle! (Trying to figure out if that is a Germanic or Celtic word…methinks it is slightly Yiddish!)LOL

Seriously though, I have been following this debate with great interest, so many passionate ideas and all eloquently expressed and explained....but are we any nearer to the truth?

Perhaps no, but what a ride!

I am new to this board and if this is an example of the debate and banter then I am more than satisfied, as to the old adage of ‘What have the Romans ever done for us’ well….Caesar had no small part in kicking off this little debate!

And Robert…I rather think your reference to 'American right wingers' and the 'EEENGGLLOOND' chant somewhat sucked poor old Aethelfrith into the political side of things, so I think that your friendly reminder to him although necessary was also a little bit cheeky! LOL

Great debate…more please!
Ken.
As an American, home of the mother of all racial divides, I marvel at a world where an Englishman is racist against "Dutch, Swedish, Germans" etc.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
......And living in the multi-cultural pot-porri that is Australia, may I second Paul B's remarks?

Immigration, I know, is a big deal in all European countries, but hey, it was ever thus, going back to the bronze age and before...!!! Smile D lol:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Xenophobia. We all have it to some degree.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
"I bet that if certain right-wingers in the US thought they could pull it off, they'd claim that European were present in the Americas before the first Asian set foot in Alaska, 20.000 BC," wrote Robert Vermaat early in this thread

Actually, Robert, there is a theory that about the same time the proto-Clovis folks were walking from Siberia to Alaska, European explorers boated along the edge of the ice sheets to visit North America.

I think of it as a Kon-Tiki theory. It's tossed out there not because there's any evidence, or even that it's plausible, but for the novelty of it. Sells books and generates academic controversy--therefore, grist for more publication with which to pump up ones academic resume. (This may not happen in Europe, but its SOP for American academia.)
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea