Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial gallic - opinion
Hi

This is my first time here.
I'm craftman from Poland. I make usually helmets from later periods than Roman but somtimes I must to do roman helmet also :^).....but I'm not the expert in this subject.

One customer from Poland had the wish to have roman imperial-gallic helmet and he gave me the order for this.

So, I made this : http://photofile.name/users/nieczar/3499715/

The basic stuff was Imperial-gallic from Meinz ....but it was just the inspiration ....so, the helmet isn't copy .
Helmet is raised in one piece (exept mobile parts) by hot way.
I used electric tools only for cutting and cleaning of surface...the rest is a hand- work

This is my first helmet in this type ,so I need some opinion of the experts ....as I said - this is not my favorite subject

...be as hard as it's nesesery :^)

Patryk
I like it! Not an expert tho! Big Grin
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It's quite good make. I specially like the eyebrows and cheekpieces. You have forgoten to put some crest holder.

It gives a little strange aspect about its proportions. I think the dome is too hollow and the neckguard is oversized. I don't know if it's partially due to a optic efect of the picture. Can you post one picture with the helmet put on a wearer?

I think it follows the Mainz Gallic D, so i link a picture from armamentarium to see how i mean about proportions.

[Image: 75590696.jpg]

[Image: helm01.jpg]

In that forum, there are people more specialized in helmets, like Peroni or Tarbicus, who probably can tell you their point of view.

And, a important question.... HOW MUCH it costs? :lol:
Really Good Patryk! A nicely made helmet!

As César points out above, the bowl could be more shallow and the angle of the neck guard less steep. Generally speaking, from this period, helmet bowls were reasonably shallow.

The original helmet (it isn't visible on the photo) also had a 'rope' edge to the cheek guard and neck guard edge.

The decorative studs on the cheek guards also differed from left to right on the original too. The studs were inlaid with enamel or coral IIRC. It is a great shame that this helmet was destroyed in WWII.

But, as you clearly stated in your post it isn't a copy! Big Grin Very nicely done.
I like it. It´s fairly better than most of the old DPKA Helmets. Congratiulations
Marcus Iulius Chattus

Me that ave been what i´ve been-
Me that ave gone where i´ve gone-
Me that ave seen what i´ve seen-
...Me!
(Rudyard Kipling)
thanx for so many good words :^)

I'll try the next helmet will be better ....I just start to learn how to make roman helmets ....and I think there's long way ahead me until I'll be good in this case

the shape of the bowl was modificated for the customer's wish...so it's much depper than in the oryginal and the neck guard has differend gradient

...unfortunate I haven't the foto of the helmet with wearer ....not yet

...about price I 'll be in contact by PM

great thanx for good opinion :^)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Imperial Italic D vs Gallic G Helmet Cheek Guard lenghts wwiigunz 0 1,131 09-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Last Post: wwiigunz
  Imperial Gallic E irwimar 8 3,836 01-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Last Post: irwimarl
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,367 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork