Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R.A.T. ARCHIVIST WANTED
First of all Avete Omnes!<br>
<br>
I'm a relative newcomer compared to alot of you. As I have been reading and browsing through your site I was wondering, wouldn't it be great if a bunch of the experts on this forum got together and wrote a book about the Roman military? A book from RATers for RATers. That would definitely be cool. I see so much knowledge here and ideas that it would definitely be shame to let it disappear. Yeah I'd be the first to buy your book!<br>
Just a crazy idea on my part. What do you guys think?<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
NH<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jrscline>JRSCline</A> at: 3/16/04 5:50 am<br></i>
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
I think you'd have divisions on certain topics, like tunic colour, which would not be reconsilable. Unless evidence for both sides is presented and no conclusions drawn, kind of like what Graham Sumner did in his books, which was refreshing.<br>
<br>
It'd also be tough to make a book for RAT personel, when half are history oriented, half are reenactors.<br>
<br>
<p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
So very true. But, like I said it was just a crazy idea on my part. Like the old saying goes, though, 'where there's a will, there's a way. Many ideas are reconciliable as long as people are constructive about it. <p></p><i></i>
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
<br>
It's not a crazy idea, I also think that all the RAT material have to be saved. In the next Century, people will can to know what this bunch of clever/skilled/sensible/cultured/"crazy" people passionately discussed here..., let's make it for that bunch and for Roma.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I always wanted to conserve the credible (i.e. referenced and annotated) writings from RAT in RomanArmy.com. Unfortunately, this material has grown like ivy over an English farmhouse -- it's so much, and the job is so great, I could never manage it alone. But that was the dream, anyway.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
You could stick a call for volunteers in here Jenny. Collecting the well referenced posts is not the same as having to post them, is it? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Similar to what Jasper did with RA.com and the translations of Ritterling's Legio. Each person could be assigned a "page" in the index of one of the areas, to read through and glean the relevant posts. Once completed, they could be compiled on an outside site or a linked one for use later. I know personally it's a bugger trying to find information now that the index of threads has gone bye bye. <p>Magnus/Matt<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"<br>
Niagara Falls, Canada</p><i></i>
Well, if someone is interested, I'd offer them the job of RAT Archivist. Here's the job description:<br>
<br>
- Relocate valuable threads to the Archive forum so they don't get erased by newer material in the regular forums. [No one but the Archivist and Admins can alter the Archive forum, so Ezboard need never delete old threads to make room for new ones, and therefore any index started therein would remain intact. When one Archive forum got full (over 25 pages of threads!), a new one could be started.)<br>
<br>
- Extract related data from the archived material into text documents.<br>
<br>
- Transfer text data into short essay or "encyclopedic entry" form to RA.com for permanent preservation.<br>
<br>
The Archivist is a position for someone we can trust (because it necessitates Admin-level powers of relocation and deletion) as well as someone very dedicated, because it's a lot of work.<br>
<br>
The Archivist could farm much of the "nug work" out to helpers, while retaining overall control of the project, as with Jasper and Ritterling's translation.<br>
<br>
Interested -- contact me. jrscline AT yahoo.com<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Nifty!<br>
<br>
I don't think I'll qualify for the archivist job , but as the old saying goes 'any little thing counts'. So if you guys need my assistance for any small thing I'll be more than glad to be of assistance.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks-- I'll chalk you up as an archive assistant.<br>
<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Huh?......(Robert Deniro impression) are you talkin-na-me? <p></p><i></i>