Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trajan\'s Column - interesting Auxiliary - Batavian?
Quote:In Sir Mortimer Wheeler's day, even less was known, hence such speculation.
Wrong Wheeler, I think! :lol: (Robert is surely referring to Everett Wheeler.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Paullus Scipio:1pgdnabb Wrote:In Sir Mortimer Wheeler's day, even less was known, hence such speculation.
Wrong Wheeler, I think! :lol: (Robert is surely referring to Everett Wheeler.)

Thanks Duncan, I did not even noticed – I had no idea what Paul was talking about, so I assumed it had to do with his research of that figure on Trajan’s column… :lol:

Indeed, I was referring to some ‘more recent’ publications by Everett Wheeler:
Wheeler, Everett L. (1978): The Occasion of Arrian's Tactica, in: Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies 19:4, pp. 351–65.
Wheeler, Everett L. (1979): The Legion as Phalanx, in: Chiron 9, pp. 303–318.
Wheeler, Everett L. (1993): Methodological Limits and the Mirage of Roman Strategy: Part I, in: The Journal of Military History 57 part 1 (Jan. 1993), pp. 7-41.
Wheeler, Everett L. (1993): Methodological Limits and the Mirage of Roman Strategy: Part II, in: The Journal of Military History 57 part 2 (Apr. 1993), pp. 215-40.
Wheeler, Everett L. (1997): Why the Romans can´t defeat the Parthians: Julius Africanus and the Strategy of Magic, in: Roman Frontier Studies 1997, pp. 575-9.
Wheeler, Everett L. (2004): The Legion as Phalanx in the Late Empire (I), in: L'Armée romaine de Dioclétian à Valentinian Ier, Actes de IIIe congrès de Lyon sur l'armée romaine, ed. Y. Le Bohec and C. Wolff (Paris), pp. 309-58.
Wheeler, Everett L. (2004): The Legion as Phalanx in the Late Empire (II), in: Revue des Études Militaires Anciennes 1, pp. 147-75.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Robert wrote:-
Quote:I merely used the word ‘synaspismos’ as a technical term, Vegetius describes such a close formation as each soldier occupying a space of 3 ft. Later manuals continue to describe such a close formation, which is neither archaic (a formation where shields touch rim to rim or overlap is by no mean alien to Roman formations from time to time), nor does anyone suggest that this would have been a Germanic influence.
....I was not suggesting that such a fundamental formation was not used by Late Romans, merely that the text-book writers followed the 'classics' in calling it 'synaspismos', and you misunderstood...I was saying that Germanic influence probably did affect Roman tactics....but that we cannot be certain that traditional Roman weaponry did not continue to predominate, judging by the little archaeological information available....
Quote:No-one would suggest that Roman weaponry did not begin to change during the third century though.
And since no spear shafts have turned up, no-one can argue for a specific length belonging to those spearheads. I would say that leaves room for discussion
...evidently, judging by our now protracted debate ...!! :? )
Quote:No-one argues either that Arrian was thinking of a ‘long cavalry spear’ when he wrote ‘kontos’, that’s just you Paul, no-one else. Which I keep finding odd, because otherwise you argue (rightly, I say) for other weapons that meanings can change, yet your ‘kontos’ always remains a 12-ft cavalry spear throughout the Roman period…
.....my point here is that'kontos' has plausibly been shown to mean '12 ft ,thick, cavalry spear' in Hellenistic times, and a translation of 'pilum' in early Imperial times, but it is pure speculation/invention by moderns to even imply that it could mean'long infantry spear'....there is simply no evidence whatever for such speculation...
Quote:So yes, I agree with you, the evidence is indeed not there. Nor does anyone say that it is
....on this we can agree.... :? wink: 8)
Quote:But others do accept that the word ‘kontos’ could also mean a thrusting spear of less cumbersome length.
....who are these 'others' and as you say, there is no evidence for it....produce even one piece of evidence that 'kontos' unequivocally means 'long infantry spear'....AFIK, there is none...
Quote:And when I see your very interesting reconstruction from Trajan’s Column, that infantryman seems to carry what other are thinking about, a thrusting spear of considerable length. Not too long before Arrian wrote, either.
.....I have never said that hastae, or long spears were not in use by the Roman Army ( the archaeological record would seem to suggest otherwise, though the caveat of hunting weapons should cause caution), merely that there is no evidence that such a weapon became the generic equipment of the Legionary...It seems to me that there is evidence to suggest that 'throwing weapon' and sword continued to be the primary weaponry of the Legions as long as they existed, and possibly even after they had evolved into 'comitatenses' etc, and that the idea that they carried a third weapon in the form of long spears is a possible mistake based on a modern supposition that ancient writers meant 'long spear' when they wrote of 'kontos'( by mistaken analogy with the hellenistic use of the term) whereas, in Arrian's day at least and very likely later, they meant the traditional 'pilum/spiculum' by this term which certainly existed in Vegetius' day....
Quote:Wrong Wheeler, I think! (Robert is surely referring to Everett Wheeler.)
......surely you are not basing your argument around the 'unproven' ideas of this one person??? Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:....I think it more likely that this is the typical'dagged' edge to his mail armour, and that the clear line below it denotes his tunic hem.....

Yep! looking closer I have to agree. Big Grin
Quote:.....my point here is that'kontos' has plausibly been shown to mean '12 ft ,thick, cavalry spear' in Hellenistic times, and a translation of 'pilum' in early Imperial times, but it is pure speculation/invention by moderns to even imply that it could mean'long infantry spear'....there is simply no evidence whatever for such speculation...
Or (just to maintain some balance in this debate), "kontos ... has plausibly been shown to be a translation of 'long infantry spear', and it is pure speculation by modern writers that it could mean 'pilum' ..." :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Duncan wrote:-
Quote:Or (just to maintain some balance in this debate), "kontos ... has plausibly been shown to be a translation of 'long infantry spear', and it is pure speculation by modern writers that it could mean 'pilum' ..."

...except that we see it being thrown etc! It has not been plausibly shown to be a 'long spear' ( and I have Arrian primarily in mind here, and I have yet to see a translation that didn't translate 'kontos' as 'pilum' in this work....), but the evidence, such as it is, is totally consistent with pilum :wink: :wink:

Robert wrote:-
Quote:Which I keep finding odd, because otherwise you argue (rightly, I say) for other weapons that meanings can change, yet your ‘kontos’ always remains a 12-ft cavalry spear throughout the Roman period…

.....surely some confusion here? You are the one maintaining that 'kontos' remained a slang word for a long spear, albeit now an infantry one rather than cavalry, whilst I maintain that, by Arrian's time it had changed in usage to become a Greek translation for 'pilum', for which there was no direct word in Greek..... ( and confusingly, the Romans had adopted 'contus' into Latin to mean a long heavy cavalry spear....)

These arguments have been aired on the other thread ad nauseum....can we please not hijack this one for a re-run?? Sad ( roll:

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Oh no! They are at it again! Paul and Robert, get back to the thread on pilum versus hasta :lol: Thanks for the picture, Paul! Batavian shielddesign and helmets, wasn't that the topic here Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Paullus Scipio wrote:-
Quote:These arguments have been aired on the other thread ad nauseum....can we please not hijack this one for a re-run??

My sentiments exactly Robert !! Smile lol:

The shield design in the sketch is fairly accurate as to design and relative dimensions......it was taken from a cast of the column, so not only is the sculpture itself in far better condition than the original ( as seen in Peroni's post), but it was sketched from a distance of two-three feet away !!

Paul McDonnell-Staff
The shield is the same as a cavalry shield presented on the column, which is referred to in this thread. Our reconstruction can be seen here.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
HH...hhh...mmm !
This makes me wonder if I am confusing two similar designs, Alexander....wish I could see Peroni's photo in higher resolution !

Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Paullus Scipio wrote:-
Quote:These arguments have been aired on the other thread ad nauseum....can we please not hijack this one for a re-run??
My sentiments exactly Robert !! Smile lol:

But of course they are your sentiments Paul - you are quoting yourself here.. Big Grin lol:

No worries Robert. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think it's time I went and did something usefull!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It would seem to be two different designs. The greek symbol Peronis mailed me from the shield on the column looks to be a single affair, used in the same way as a cresent. The other one looks to be a branching out of the central decoration, crowned by a cresent. I will use the Greek one to go with the wreath design I did (which is a pain, as all the leaves overlap and need to be picked out in dark green lines to leave the leaves visible) Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trajan's Column Protectores Donutici 11 4,697 02-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Lorica from Trajan Column base korras 10 3,402 05-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Last Post: emilio
  War machine on Trajan\'s Column Lyle 39 8,363 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Renatus