Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evropantiqva - Celtic and Germanic Reenacting
Evropantiqva is an italian federation of various associations that are involved in III B.C. Gallic reeenacting and I-II A.D. West Germanic reenacting.

Please, visit our site!

http://www.evropantiqva.org
Gioal Canestrelli "Caturix"

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Cool site!

And welcome to RAT, Caturix!

Smile Would you please add a signature with your real name ... it's a forum rule. Thanks.
Sara T.
RAT Rules for Posting

Courage is found in unlikely places. [size=75:2xx5no0x] ~J.R.R Tolkien[/size]
Nice pictures. Cool equipment you have. Ane welcome on RAT.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Man, that is a fearsum looking bunch of Celts and Germans you have there! Great site, welcome to the forum Big Grin
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Great to see the other historical side to the history period great set up on both sides welcome Big Grin
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Big Grin D Welcome on RAT Gioal.
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Salvete,
A small sample of work done between Ars Dimicandi and Fvlcvm group of Evropantiqva.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=CXO6e-DpPKs

Valete
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
Caturix, do you or any of the associated groups have a source for 1st Century Germanic personal names? The names I find on the Internet are Latinized variations, and it seems unlikely that those were the names the people used to call themselves. Welcome here, and a laus for your efforts in the hobby!

BTW, great video, and wonderful pictures and information on the website.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Caturix, do you or any of the associated groups have a source for 1st Century Germanic personal names? The names I find on the Internet are Latinized variations, and it seems unlikely that those were the names the people used to call themselves.

Why would you not go with a latinised name. As seen in most allies of Rome they will adopt latinized names very soon. I mean, there were pretty much Julii and such under the germanic tribes that were part of the roman empire. (As you talk about personal, I understood it is about tribes under Roman influences)
ALA I BATAVORUM
I thought it was representing the tribe that opposed Rome, so were not yet under Roman sway? :?

Welcome to RAT Caturix! Big Grin Great group!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
GJ has it right. We are interested in sources for personal names before tribes became Romanized. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information about that on this side of the Atlantic, and outside of the university system libraries, which aren't accessible to us unwashed plebians. :wink:

After a tribe was conquered, they would use their Romanized names, at least when talking to Romans, but I suspect they still would remember the name their parents had given them, and use that in private life. For them, it would be pretty easy to translate their Germanic name into Latin. For us, it's not always so clear, looking backwards through the telescope, as it were.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thank you all, happy you liked our website!!!

X Hephestus: everytime I look to that video i became excited...it was a marvellous experience indeed!!!
(hope to repeat it..)

For the German names:

We can obtain "true" I A.D. german names working on the latinized names that we can found in the roman chronicles, and trying to return to the old form, thanks to Germanic Philology.

For example, we know that the real name of Arminius was Irmin, or Maroboduos was Marbod.

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Very nice video. I noticed that the spear tips I saw, looked to have a Q-tip kind of end on them. I'm assuming some kind of padding? Were all the rest of the weapons rendered similarly less harmful?
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:Very nice video. I noticed that the spear tips I saw, looked to have a Q-tip kind of end on them. I'm assuming some kind of padding? Were all the rest of the weapons rendered similarly less harmful?

Just in a little part.

The frameas an the javelins, due to their hazard and lack of controllability, in a reenacting dinamic context like ours MUST be with a "fake" point (padded tennis ball or wrapped sponge), unless you want to run the risk of seroiusly wound or even kill your opponent.

The franciscas, being throwing axes, couldn't be real, so we use painted plywood for the blades.

On the other hand, other weapons like germanic seax, gaulish knifes, sicae and gladii can be used with a good margin of safety, obviously if wielded by a prepared person, so we used them in metal (obviously they MUST NOT be sharped or too pointed).

Even head balanced weapons like celtic swords, germanic axes or germanic cudgels are used without any kind of padding, but being less controllable than shortswords and knives, we target with them ONLY the opponent shield, the risk of breaking bones unacceptable.

- www.evropantiqva.org -
Even a plywood throwing axe could create quite an impressing if caught in the face Cry . Do you have a "germanic weapons" page in the making for your website or a good link where I can find some suitable weapons for irregular Batavian troops?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  are there any celtic or germanic groups in oregon/washington caius matinius mattius 14 5,015 08-08-2017, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Celtic & Germanic Clothing Avatar 11 3,241 11-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Nerva