Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unique Roman Amphitheatre Slumbers Beneath Sofia Downtown
Unique Roman Amphitheatre Slumbers Beneath Sofia Downtown

Some archaeologists say that Bulgaria may be called Rome of the Balkans, The Standart shares.
Serdica - an ancient names of Sofia, was a military, economic and culture centre in the Roman Empire.
And while local culture tourism is redirected to Perperikon and other spots dispersed all over this country, a mystic town slumbers beneath Sofia downtown, told from Standart.
The excavations under the medieval St. Sofia church started in the 1940s.
There is a huge Roman necropolis under the church with dozens of tombs stretching under the building of the National Assembly.
Archaeologists and historians reckon the remnants from Roman times and the later cultural strata are unique and can be found nowhere else in the world.
There appears the problem. Round 10 million EUR are needed to take at the surface all the Roman rests.
‘The Heart of the City' project which aims to exhibit Serdica costs 7 million EUR.
The other 3 million EUR will be necessary for researches, conservation and adaptation of the unique amphitheatre, discovered 2 years ago.
The Standart reveals that last week the amphitheatre that was named ‘Sofia Coliseum'.
The walls of the ancient Roman city encircle the region between Alabin Str., Hristo Botev Blv and Iskar Str.
Link : http://international.ibox.bg/news/id_1067904105
Patrick Van Calck
It would be really interesting to see it excavated and put on display!

About the money, well, near where I live (Consett in the Northeast) there is a fort nearby which the locals and Durham City council are planning to excavate and turn into a tourist attraction and it would cost a couple of million pounds (3 if I recall correctly!) I think so far they have half or so...

Based on that, I don't think it will be difficult for the EU to fork out 10 million euros for a whole part of town to be excavated!
We pay enough so send it to them. At least we can see what they used it for
Patrick Van Calck

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Heart Extraordinary Late Roman mosaic and villa discovered beneath Rutland field (UK) Robert Vermaat 0 250 11-25-2021, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Unique finds not neccesarily Roman jkaler48 2 1,172 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Unique Roman table of curse found and decoded jvrjenivs 7 2,453 06-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar