Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar\'s equipment
Quote:Heres a picture of the rectangular scutum.
[Image: 10.jpg]

Thats likely to be captured Celtic war gear.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:How about belts and shoes? Tunic colours?

For details of these see my

Roman Military Clothing 1. Osprey. Oxford 2001
and
Roman Military Dress. Tempus. (Forthcoming)

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Well, Tarbicus, I am basing what I said upon Connolly's Greece and Rome At War, Bishop's Roman Military Clothing I (there is an illustration of Caius Iulius Caesar, having picked up an oval legionary scutum, rallying his troops against a surprise attack by IIRC the Nervii), and, of course B&C's Roman Military Equipment: From the Punic Wars to the Fall of Rome. All of these books say or show the Cesarean legions using the oval Republican scutum.

I had not seen the thread to which you linked as it predates my joining and I am very curious to know the date of that mausoleum. I should also observe that, lacking any better pictures, I would say that the the only squared off scutum visible to me on that structure appears very much to be one of the intermediary versions where they had trimmed the ends off of the large oval scutum as it evolved toward the classic rectangular version of the Principate. But I am open to a revision of my thinking if somebody shows me a better picture of what Mike diagrammed. In either case, has anyone any idea of how widespread the use of such a scutum might have been?
Hugh, why do you give such a rigid description of the development of the scutum?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
He is talking about the squared off version, straight sided, straight topped...as opposed to the curved oval which we know was used in the Republican times, more so than the intermediary one, which is less attested to in most publications......not a real big deal really!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Munatius Plancus: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_Munatius_Plancus

The Mausoleum is of Augustan date, roughly 30 years after Caesar's death. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem using a scutum for a Caesarian impression as seen posted by Mike Bishop, although I'd point out it's not a rock solid choice by any means.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I am sure that I have read that the squared off oval scutum was a post Maurian expedience to ;

(a) relieve some weight from the "mule" or legionaire as they are called.
(b) resultant from the greater use of armour so less of the body needed to be covered.

If this is plausable then Cesarian era troops may well have had cropped shileds and indeed straight sided ones as they might have been easier to make?

Also Miks book is apparently saying that the Hispaniensis may well have been a more Mainz type sword and is postulating that the many swords identified as Hispaniensis are in fact Celtic spatha:?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:I am sure that I have read that the squared off oval scutum was a post Maurian expedience to ;

(a) relieve some weight from the "mule" or legionaire as they are called.
(b) resultant from the greater use of armour so less of the body needed to be covered.

Also Miks book is apparently saying that the Hispaniensis may well have been a more Mainz type sword and is postulating that the many swords identified as Hispaniensis are in fact Celtic spatha:?

I would like to see if that was true about the scuta! Smile lol:

I find that plausable about the mainz/hispaniensis, would like to see this info too(another case of 'could have saved myself a fortune') Who is Mik?

Mind you, I like to collect these things too.... :roll: :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
ref Scuta ... more than likely read this on a forum :?

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20034 Miks book Big Grin
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=20034 Miks book Big Grin

Ahhhh, that will be the one they didn't print enough of, I'm still waiting.... :roll: Sad

I always thought it was a possibility the mainz was in longer use....
and earlier, ie caesar's period! 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
who you waiting from ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Got mine from here in just three days

http://www.antikmakler.de/catalog/advan ... 1&x=6&y=10

I cancelled with the publisher as no progress.
Conal Moran

Yoda
Thanks, I'll see how it goes!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Sorry, missed the other post Conal, I think it is a publisher, but seem to have a positive respose from your link, so hopefully will have it soon, then will cancel with the other vendor/publisher... :?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
There is a relief floating about that looks to depict the squared off scuta with spina, I guess that will be the one you were refering to Mike?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel